Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I have a coin here that I believe is Russian (based upon it's letters) although i'm not sure. Can anyone positively identify?

Also, two points of interest.

1. The person this coin comes from does NOT TRAVEL. They have never flown, and the only location they have really traveled to was Novia Scotia (which is about a 10 hour drive from here). So, somewhere between here and there, they got this 1800's Russian? coin. Strange.

2. All of the characters on this coin are of another language except the numbers. When you look at Middle Eastern coins, Japanese, Chinese.. etc..... the numbers are in their language.... I guess not so in Russia? I find that strange.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Russian Front.jpg
    Russian Front.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Russian Back.jpg
    Russian Back.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 170

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russian 5 KOPEK

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your great info (as usual). I'm curious. Because it's Russian, and because the USA has had such bad relations with them for so long, does that make Russian coins more collectable?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Groove:
Unfortunately for collectors, 'no'; otherwise, all WW II Axis power coins would be in high demand for that reason alone--and they aren't. What creates value is demand; demand that can actually buy, not just 'want'. And when you combine demand, rarity and high quality, value is increased; even more so today when you see the prices of coins that have experienced beautiful, natural toning.
But here again, your coin is 'priceless' from the standpoint of conversational value.
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread