jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
1870's Pit Finds, Umbrella Ink, Buttons, Marbles

Got out to throw some more dirt around in the hot humid sun :icon_sunny: This time we dug two pits that dated back to the 1870's. Did some research on this site that had a rather huge house( biggest on the block back on the 1893 maps). The house is no longer there but a new one is on site. Lucky for us the area where we assumed the privies would have been is still accessable. We would find out soon enough that accessable would mean to remove some bushes >:( Oh well, it was an hour and a half of cutting, sawing, chopping, hacking but we made it through. :thumbsup:

The first pit I literally got lucky and stabbed it with my probe on the first poke. So Don and I started our first excavation of the day. Started off by finding some nice layering as we travelled below. But the layers produced a bunch of broken items. Pottery, some glass shards but nothing much. We did finally come across a heartbreaker pitcher that was nicely painted. :( There was more of that type of stuff to come. Found a really crude medicine or fruit jar topper that was clearly just a blob of glass placed on top when it was molten.

Then at about 6 feet down I was scraping around a bit and out falls this nice Umbrella Ink with a sheared top :headbang: That was the only intact bottle in the entire pit. It is a hinge mold type so it dates back to the 1870's. Then it was on to the next pit.
We were pretty beat already but decided to probe just a few feet behind the other pit. We had to remove a huge evergreen bush to get access to it. After removing the bush and getting down about 4 feet out pops numerous lantern shades. These are never intact. :( Then Don started pulling out glass buttons and some clay marbles. Then he finds an NR Co. GoodYears P=T 1851 button. That may be the oldest button we have ever found. Its plastic or rubber. Found a few non descript medicines and a broken pontiled cornocopia flask :o So it was not what we had hoped for but I am sure there are more pits in and among the bushes. We shall return and scavenge around a bit more :tongue3: Hopefully there will be a loaded pit there assuming these people had money since the house was so big :thumbsup: Here's hoping for a future dig that turns up much more ;D Goodluck and be safe out there. jgas

Attachments

• U1.JPG
    U1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 882
  • U2.JPG
    U2.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 872
  • U3.JPG
    U3.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 867
  • U4.JPG
    U4.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 875
  • U5.JPG
    U5.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 864
  • U6.JPG
    U6.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 860
  • U7.JPG
    U7.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 861
  • U8.JPG
    U8.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 870
  • U9.JPG
    U9.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 861
  • U10.JPG
    U10.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 856
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1870's Pit Finds, Umbrella Ink, Buttons, Marbles

whats the brown glaze pot??

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always enjoy your pit posts, you guys have this down to a science and know exactly where to go! Thanks and HH, Mike

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

god thats a deep hole!!!!!!

[mod] Treasurenet has a special forum for personal links. They don't get posted in "Todays Finds" [/mod]

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds jgas :icon_thumright: . I hope to dig an actual privy sometime soon, but it's been a bit on the hot side here :-\ .

HH!

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man you guys are CRAZY to be diggin' in this humidity, but once again you pulled some nice goodies from down deep.

Be safe :icon_thumright:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

The new owners must really "dig" you to allow you to cut all that foliage down!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006

Very nice ink, one of my favorite bottles to find!
-Ev

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good dig!!! :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love the marbles and button, JG. :icon_thumright: I don't know how in the heck you all are digging those pits in this heat tho! 8) :o

Nana~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread