1872 Indian Head

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Today I got out to a colonial site I've been diggin. Pulled two Mercury dimes and two encrusted Indian heads. The two indians and one of the mercs were all at the base of this huge tree stump just a couple feet away from each other. After letting them soak all day I gave them a rinse and it looks like one of the indians is 1872.

Attachments

• 1435453406335.jpg
    1435453406335.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 1435453415731.jpg
    1435453415731.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 10

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I lucked out with my five Indians at my new site. They're all in decent shape with legible dates right out of the hole. Now I just hope to find some from the 1860's and 70's with the lower mintage

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice detail under all th at crud

Good saves!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on the finds! What's that slime looking stuff????

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the IHPs. Sounds like you have a promising site to hunt.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That crust looks just like what I find on all of my indian heads here on the Maine coast. I call it the "coast crust disease". I sometimes leave mine in cold peroxide for days and often times their is a nicely detailed coin hiding underneath. Looks like you may have just that

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
The whole coin was encrusted with that green stuff. I just rinsed, let it soak, and rinsed again and some of the green came right off to reveal beautiful details. I'm hoping it will all come off with just water.
If you look at my first picture you can see it bottom right fully encrusted.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. It should clean up half way decent or better.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find that should clean up just fine!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole coin was encrusted with that green stuff. I just rinsed, let it soak, and rinsed again and some of the green came right off to reveal beautiful details. I'm hoping it will all come off with just water.
If you look at my first picture you can see it bottom right fully encrusted.

Yup it looks just like mine. The crust is so stubborn that 98% of the time it's a very long peroxide bath. It the water won't do it don't be afraid to stick it in the hp

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of examples
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Please do show the finished product. One of my favorite things on this forum is to see the before and afters. I think yours is going to be a stunner

OP
OP
wheres_wheatie

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I've never used hp, do you just let it soak, will it affect the value?

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sweet key-date indian- congrats! Please re-post what it looks like after all that green is gone!

-- Jeff --

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used hp, do you just let it soak, will it affect the value?

The indian heads that I dig are normally brown and the hp does not affect the color at all. The beauty of it is that you are not doing anything that could potentially scratch the coin. It's just a reaction with the crud that breaks it lose. I certainly would never go throwing a $4000 coin in a vat of hp but I never hesitated to throw the 66,70,75,76 IHs in. I simply warm it up for about 18 seconds in the microwave in a Tupperware dish and drop the coin in. It will bubble a bit as it reacts with the crud. Most people continue this process over and over. I don't do that. I just let the coin continue to sit in the hp until the desired look has been achieved. Here's my take on the hp. If you have a nice solid coin underneath the crud you absolutely cannot hurt it. If you have a coin that's pitted and has very little detail you can absolutely hurt it. Can't wait to see yours when it's done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread