1876 shield nickel (got it with the digger too GRRR...) cleaned pics added

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I found my oldest coin to date today, an 1876 shield nickel. Unfortunately I goudged the heck out of it with my digger :tard: = me! I am still very happy with it though since it is my first coin from the 1800's. I found it in my back yard that was a 160 acre farm since 18??. It's down to 2 1/2 acres now. The nickel was out in the very middle of the field/yard away from all trees or any thing else. As far as I know it was never plowed or planted but was always pasture. Sheer luck is the only reason I happened to go over this spot. It was appoximatly 7" down, I got a very faint signal and dug a pretty good sized plug. When I rescanned the hole the signal was still a little iffy so I took my smaller digger and stabbed the coin immediatly, live and learn I guess. I have dug pounds and pounds of trash to get this one little coin, I hope the next one comes along a little easier than this one did. Thanks for looking HH, Charlie

Attachments

• chase mitchell 003.JPG
    chase mitchell 003.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 915
  • chase mitchell 002.JPG
    chase mitchell 002.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 912
  • 1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: 1876 shield nickel (got it with the digger too GRRR...)

Yes, you did dig it and, well you know!
Congrats just the same.

If it were me, I'd place that coin somewhere, anywhere it could be exposed to the weather with the gouge side up of course! It won't cure the gouge but will certainly, given time make
it appear more authentic. Like someone else did it! Lol!

Thanks for sharing,
GRB

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Thanks Roy, and yes I do know, I'm still cussing at myself. I think since I already put a gash the size of the grand canyon on it I will try to polish it up a little. I don't think I can do any more harm to it. I looked up the details of the coin and it says it is 75% copper and 25% nickel, if anyone has ever got one of these cleaned up nice I would sure appreciate some advice.

Charlie

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't feel too bad, just consider it practice. Dug a 1916-D Barber quarter that is in AU condition, dropped in 1916, and except for the HUGE gash that I caused on her face, looks pretty good. I think I cried when I saw what I did.
CurbdiggerCarl

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Thought I would show some pic's of my place. The house is the original farm house from the 1800's. There is also a pic of my side yard and backyard.

Attachments

• home 002 (Large).JPG
    home 002 (Large).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 841
  • home 003 (Large).JPG
    home 003 (Large).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 835
  • home 001 (Large).JPG
    home 001 (Large).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 817
OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Don't feel too bad, just consider it practice. Dug a 1916-D Barber quarter that is in AU condition, dropped in 1916, and except for the HUGE gash that I caused on her face, looks pretty good. I think I cried when I saw what I did.
CurbdiggerCarl

Sorry about your Barber carl, I definately know how you feel.

Maybe we should start a thread showing our dumb mistakes so maybe the next guy/gal will be a little more careful. I know for a fact if I hadn't dug sooo much junk here I would have been a lot more patient and careful.
Charlie

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

sweet find lots of detail all the 1's i have found have been beaten up pretty bad congrats and good luck

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

dgaughan said:
sweet find lots of detail all the 1's i have found have been beaten up pretty bad congrats and good luck
Thanks dgaughan. Good luck to you too. Charlie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find.

Still Waiting to find my First Shield Nickel

and i'm Sure I'll dent it also ;D

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Thats awesome! I wish that I got old coins in my yard! You are one lucky guy to live on a farm from the 1800's!!! :) :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

savant365 said:
Sheer luck is the only reason I happened to go over this spot.

Nice find! I have yet to find a shield. My oldest nickel is an 1885 Liberty Head.

Luck is what metal detecting is all about. All we can do is increase the odds by doing research!

Congrats on your oldest find! My advice would be to invest in a pinpointer. By pinpointing areound the edges and bottom of the hole you could have avoided stabbing your coin.

Typically pintointers will run about $100, but I have been hearing good things about the Harbor Freight pinpointer for only $14.95!!! I may even invest in one as a backup unit!

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Attachments

• 97245.gif
    97245.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 758

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

Nice shield nickel. I'm still waiting to find one but my area isn't that old.

I've been experimenting with cleaning nickels lately using some tips I saw on this site. I cleaned a couple buffalos and v nickels with lime away and brasso and had pretty good results. I just dipped them in lime away for a few seconds and brushed them with a soft brass brush. Repeated this process a few times and rinsed in between alternating with brasso and lime away. It goes slow and doesn't eat the coins if you rinse right away. It restores the silvery color but doesn't make them look too shiny.

Anyway good luck.

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

jeff of pa said:
Nice find.

Still Waiting to find my First Shield Nickel

and i'm Sure I'll dent it also ;D

Thanks Jeff, I wouldn't recommend the denting part...it really sucks and you call yourself some really bad names

Detectingfreak said:
Thats awesome! I wish that I got old coins in my yard! You are one lucky guy to live on a farm from the 1800's!!! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, I am lucky, this place has been in my family since 194?. I hope this is where my Grandkids spread my ashes.

Neil in West Jersey said:
savant365 said:
Sheer luck is the only reason I happened to go over this spot.

Nice find! I have yet to find a shield. My oldest nickel is an 1885 Liberty Head.

Luck is what metal detecting is all about. All we can do is increase the odds by doing research!

Congrats on your oldest find! My advice would be to invest in a pinpointer. By pinpointing areound the edges and bottom of the hole you could have avoided stabbing your coin.

Typically pintointers will run about $100, but I have been hearing good things about the Harbor Freight pinpointer for only $14.95!!! I may even invest in one as a backup unit!

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Thanks Neil,
If I can find a used one I will. The one for $14.95 might be the way to go too.

unclejesse67 said:
Nice shield nickel. I'm still waiting to find one but my area isn't that old.

I've been experimenting with cleaning nickels lately using some tips I saw on this site. I cleaned a couple buffalos and v nickels with lime away and brasso and had pretty good results. I just dipped them in lime away for a few seconds and brushed them with a soft brass brush. Repeated this process a few times and rinsed in between alternating with brasso and lime away. It goes slow and doesn't eat the coins if you rinse right away. It restores the silvery color but doesn't make them look too shiny.

Anyway good luck.

Thanks for the advise Jesse, I'll give it a shot

Tensas

Sep 23, 2007
Waterproof, LA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon

I had the sad experience of gouging a 1848 half dime. Been digging a lot of trash and got careless. It happens.

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Tensas said:
I had the sad experience of gouging a 1848 half dime. Been digging a lot of trash and got careless. It happens.

Ouch...see we need to start a dinged coin thread

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

HI Charlie,nice nickel even with the scratch in it. Nice spread,I had to do a double take when i saw the picture of your house,here's a pic of mine from the front. It was built in 1918.
Jerry

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 674
OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Ohio Jerry said:
HI Charlie,nice nickel even with the scratch in it. Nice spread,I had to do a double take when i saw the picture of your house,here's a pic of mine from the front. It was built in 1918.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, they do look pretty much alike. I don't know exactly when this one was built but the oldest plat map I have found is from 1893 and it shows the house on it.

Charlie

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hey Charlie,
The advice regarding a probe has merit. I've been using SunRay's X1 probe on my Explorers and in all honesty, "I would not
leave home without it!" I think the price for a DFX SunRay probe is a little less than what it cost us Explorer users. Once you use one, you will thank all who recommended it.

By the way, your home site is quite impressive; very lovely!

Good hunting!
GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread