1880s-ish pocket spill; Seated ...

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a ride outside the city after work. I've been eyeing up a spot on the map that in theory had potential. No visible foundations, just a wooded area in a old neighborhood. About 20 min in I get a 52 VDI, out pops a V Nick, I couldn't read the date which is normal. The shiny appearance is because it's wet.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-21-20-34.png
Rescanning the hole I noticed more signals. Anywhere from nickel to quarter. I pinpoint this 1864 Indian Head.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-21-29-58.png
Rescanning the hole i got an 84 once but then a nickel a few swings in a row. Next coin out of the hole is quarter sized, assuming It's a Barber. I'm wrong, 1860 Seated Quarter! My first ever.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-20-26-24.png Screenshot_2018-03-26-20-29-17.png
Just a minor patina scratch near the head in retrieval, maybe I kissed it with the carrot. It seems lightly circulated. No on-site pics, I waited until I got home to rinse the coins. Rescanning the hole the next coin I find is my first Shield Nickel! The shield side is real crusty, no details are visible yet.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-21-18-28.png
The last coin in the hole was this crusty Indian.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-21-28-53.png
Total of 37 cents pocket spill. Now they soak. Of course I'll rescan the spot once more, next time I'm there. All my other finds were mostly clad and pull tabs. Good luck out there!

Upvote 37

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a couple bucket listers! The Seated quarter is awesome. Post some cleaned up pics if you have a chance. Congrats!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a couple bucket listers! The Seated quarter is awesome. Post some cleaned up pics if you have a chance. Congrats!

Thx, I still have more area to cover so maybe I'll get lucky again. My phone camera lense is scratched, the quarter looks better in person regarding detail. I'll post an update in the coming days.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Wow...that one hole held what would've been more than one bucket-lister for a lot of people. I'm still looking for my first Seated Quarter...uhh...first Seated-period, that is. Congrats on your great spill...Ddf

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Helluva hole! 🙌 Well done!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good stuff!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Two Bucket List coins in one hole is an amazing accomplishment. Big congrats on the excellent old coins and getting into the woods to locate them. Sometimes we just need to get into unknown territory to get these amazing treasures. Well done!:headbang:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG! Wow...that one hole held what would've been more than one bucket-lister for a lot of people. I'm still looking for my first Seated Quarter...uhh...first Seated-period, that is. Congrats on your great spill...Ddf

I didnt think I ever would find a Seated Quarter but keep swinging in some strategic spots and I'm sure you'll get one. I've been focusing on areas near train tracks.

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Two Bucket List coins in one hole is an amazing accomplishment. Big congrats on the excellent old coins and getting into the woods to locate them. Sometimes we just need to get into unknown territory to get these amazing treasures. Well done!:headbang:

Thx! It was one of those dream days for sure. I haven't found the years from both nickels and one of the Indian Heads yet. I'm hoping a toothpick will help uncover a scarce date after work. Fingers crossed.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice pocket spill, especially the seated quarter.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a spill of coins and of quite a span of dates. An awesome quarter.Could you show them after a little washing?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang man! That was a great hole, brimming with good coins.

Big congrats, and a little jelly!

Good luck to you sir!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome spill!!! Congratulations on the most excellent coinage:headbang:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
SCORE! Good job and thanks for posting. Where's that cleaned up pic of the quarter???

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a spill of coins and of quite a span of dates. An awesome quarter.Could you show them after a little washing?

I'm at work now so sometime this evening I'll see if I can post better pics and reveal the Shield, V nick, and other Indian date. I usually dont clean my silver coins. I'll try the baking soda trick today. Or should I? I dont want to damage it further.

Last edited:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First ever seated Quarter, and an 1860?
Most people dig a 1853, or 1876, 77, not something as old as yours.
Killer spill!
Kudos!
Carl

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting