Snow finally melting, quick hunt nets a mix of finds, complete buckle.

Golden Pull-tab

Mar 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still some snow on the ground in my area after 4 nor'easters, but it melted enough to finally get out there and swing for the first time in march. Decided to hit a spot near me by an old washed out bridge locals use as a fishing/drinking spot. The area by the bridge was completely littered with beer cans and other assorted garbage people leave behind, so I strolled down the old road leading up to it swinging by the edge of the road for a couple of hours. Ended up with the back of a pocket watch, a thimble, what I assume is half a crotal bell and a complete buckle. I'm not too familiar with buckles but from what I've researched about them this one might be an 18th century shoe buckle, and is in surprisingly good shape, appears comlete and both the smaller parts move freely independent of each other. I might hit the area again this week, it has quite a few stone walls, no cellar holes that I could find, but the buckle is a promising sign to look around more.

Attachments

• crotal.jpg
    crotal.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Buckle front.jpg
    Buckle front.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Buckle back.jpg
    Buckle back.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 16

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great find. c04657febc96e662c8d55cacaad091dc.jpg
This could help.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still some snow on the ground in my area after 4 nor'easters, but it melted enough to finally get out there and swing for the first time in march. Decided to hit a spot near me by an old washed out bridge locals use as a fishing/drinking spot. The area by the bridge was completely littered with beer cans and other assorted garbage people leave behind, so I strolled down the old road leading up to it swinging by the edge of the road for a couple of hours. Ended up with the back of a pocket watch, a thimble, what I assume is half a crotal bell and a complete buckle. I'm not too familiar with buckles but from what I've researched about them this one might be an 18th century shoe buckle, and is in surprisingly good shape, appears comlete and both the smaller parts move freely independent of each other. I might hit the area again this week, it has quite a few stone walls, no cellar holes that I could find, but the buckle is a promising sign to look around more.

That buckle is amazing! Nice work!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's what I was thinking also. Again nice finds. The buckle is in great shape.:thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, nice example, I've yet to get a complete one.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to sound like a copy cat but that is a very nice buckle!!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a sweet shoe buckle, complete and working, wow.

Congrats and good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer buckle, congratulations! :occasion14:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a relic guy, but that buckle is awesome. I like the thimble too, no top to it? Congrats.

OP
OP
Golden Pull-tab

Golden Pull-tab

Mar 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot guys. I was really surprised the buckle is still fully functional, I guess it's a testament to old craftsmanship. I could go to walmart, buy a brand new buckle, bury it today and dig it up monday and it would probably break if I try to use it, but this thing is still going strong after centuries in the dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread