1881 $10 Buffalo Large Note

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is what you are talking about,

buffalo.jpg

in VG-8=$450, up to $3000 for Unc.
There are 9 Signature combinations and it appears that all are the same value.

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. Welcome to Treasurenet!​

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
These notes were also called "Buffalo Bills" for the obvious reason. Prices for these notes in the choicest condition have recently approached stratospheric levels, with superb specimens on some signature combinations going for well into five figures.
Don.......

OP
OP
J

JoyF

Oct 3, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What two signatories are on your Buffalo bill?

On the right side is Frank White (Treasurer of the United States). On the left side, I'm having trouble reading the signature. I think it is H.L. Speel...can't make out the rest of the last name - he was Register of the Treasury. Hope that is some help. I can post a picture if you like.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got it: White and Harley V. Speelman (F-122) in The Official Red Book. Thanks.
Condition/Grading is the most important factor in these bills. The values range up into the thousands depending upon grade--by a professional grading company. Such a bill in poor condition might bring a couple hundred dollars; one in '63' condition might bring $5k.
You may wish to check Ebay for current listings (asking prices) and 'Completed Listings' (in the left column) for actual sale prices--the 'comparable' figure for estimating the value of your bill based on similar condition.
Don...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoyF

Oct 3, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that info. This bill is in relatively good condition with no noticed tears or holes. I've checked ebay and, as I said, plan to list it before too long (when I get the time). Where could I get one of those "The Official Red Books"? Sounds as if it may be beneficial to have.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoyF,sorry, sales can only be done in the classifieds section and supporting vendors and charter members are the only ones who can list a sale or trade.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread