Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big heavy silver sure is nice! This year it's been difficult getting out. Refurbishing our house since January. I have detected less than a half dozen times. Today I went to a new park for me, and not ten steps in a great tone, and solid 91-92 on the F75. Had to be good! Of course, it was tight up against the underside of a root about 4 inches down, and I had no idea what I had until the hard packed clayey sand was chiseled out.

Here's a couple pics with her on top of the root. NCM_0204.JPG NCM_0202.JPG

A better couple of shots with the coin rinsed off, then after soaking in boiling water and baking soda ( 6 cycles ). IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_3561.JPG IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3564.JPG

She's in real good shape for her age.

A couple of weeks after we moved in, I managed to get a couple hours detecting around our house for the first time, and found this ( plus clad, of course, and trash, through a carpet of iron ). A "Holed" 1943 Australian Florin. Go figure. From what I found, these were .925 silver! The equivalent of about .30 to .35 cents U.S. at the time. IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3557.JPG

And last, a short trip to another park a couple months ago gave the usual clad, trash, and a couple of silver rings. IMG_3558.JPG

Those are my finds worth showing for the year so far, plus about 10 bucks in clad.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 80

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! I search for relics but have found thousands of coins in the process; never a silver dollar. Going by what I've found (and seen found) they are rarer to find than Spanish silver. Congratulations that is a feat not often accomplished.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the pat on the back. It mystifies me that this coin hadn't already been recovered by another detectorist. I'm going to spend some time there, it may be relatively untouched ground. 10 minutes from the house, mostly shaded by big trees, and I only saw two people walking their dogs in a two hour outing. Also, the lawn is pretty gnarly, so a hole is easily filled and concealed. What's not to like? Except the fire ants. I kneeled on a nest while digging one hole. I was doing the dance.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Cool! :icon_thumleft: You will never forget the experience of finding a big silver, and I can relate to that.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the BIG Silver! :occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the BIG SILVER!!!!! Never gets old seeing these pop out of the ground!!!!:occasion14:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s one good looking Morgan. Congrats on all the great finds.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wondered how someone loses a coin THAT big! Congrats though!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a half is pretty cool,that’s a big coin! Finding a DOLLAR is mind blowing,and mines been blown once. It was hard to grasp in my mind what I was holding,the coin was SO big! It’s something you’ll always recall for sure,as will I. Mine was a mile and then some deep,yours being relatively shallow is an anomaly. It’s possible it got passed over because nobody took the chance on it thinking it was a can deeper or something.
Congrats on a once in a lifetime find!

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding a half is pretty cool,that’s a big coin! Finding a DOLLAR is mind blowing,and mines been blown once. It was hard to grasp in my mind what I was holding,the coin was SO big! It’s something you’ll always recall for sure,as will I. Mine was a mile and then some deep,yours being relatively shallow is an anomaly. It’s possible it got passed over because nobody took the chance on it thinking it was a can deeper or something.
Congrats on a once in a lifetime find!

Thanks IDX. Yeah, I have it right here on my desk. It's a work of art, and enjoyable to look at and hold. Justifies all those holes, and cans, like you said. Still searching for my first gold something. More holes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats :occasion14: Any day you pull a Morgan is a great day!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats :occasion14: Any day you pull a Morgan is a great day!!!

Loco finding a Morgan at a public park these day you have to be born with a lucky horse shoe up your butt. Kray has that I figured all those were found in the 70’s and 80’s. Obvious I was wrong, but it’s nice knowing there’s hope still. Thanks Kray.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco finding a Morgan at a public park these day you have to be born with a lucky horse shoe up your butt. Kray has that I figured all those were found in the 70’s and 80’s. Obvious I was wrong, but it’s nice knowing there’s hope still. Thanks Kray.

Hey Truth they are still out there. I dug one from a football field that was built in 1965. The Morgan was only 4 inches down and a few of us hypothesized it was used by a referee as a heads or tail coin at the beginning of the game. It was a great Christmas Eve Day (2016) hunt since I also dug my 1st class ring during the same hunt. I did find the owner a few states away and he told me to keep the ring.

20161224_153403.jpg

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LOL. It gets more difficult with each hole I dig, especially with that horse shoe thing.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Truth they are still out there. I dug one from a football field that was built in 1965. The Morgan was only 4 inches down and a few of us hypothesized it was used by a referee as a heads or tail coin at the beginning of the game. It was a great Christmas Eve Day (2016) hunt since I also dug my 1st class ring during the same hunt. I did find the owner a few states away and he told me to keep the ring.

View attachment 1589658

Nice, Loco! Still hoping for that gold ring, cleaning parks as I go.

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find! It will probably take a lot of years to find another of those for you ;)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get excited about signals that hit hard and loud, hoping for a big juicy silver dollar but it usually ends up nothing good. pretty awesome one at that too. those two rings are really cool too, were they found near each other being similar in taste?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread