Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big heavy silver sure is nice! This year it's been difficult getting out. Refurbishing our house since January. I have detected less than a half dozen times. Today I went to a new park for me, and not ten steps in a great tone, and solid 91-92 on the F75. Had to be good! Of course, it was tight up against the underside of a root about 4 inches down, and I had no idea what I had until the hard packed clayey sand was chiseled out.

Here's a couple pics with her on top of the root. NCM_0204.JPG NCM_0202.JPG

A better couple of shots with the coin rinsed off, then after soaking in boiling water and baking soda ( 6 cycles ). IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG IMG_3561.JPG IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3564.JPG

She's in real good shape for her age.

A couple of weeks after we moved in, I managed to get a couple hours detecting around our house for the first time, and found this ( plus clad, of course, and trash, through a carpet of iron ). A "Holed" 1943 Australian Florin. Go figure. From what I found, these were .925 silver! The equivalent of about .30 to .35 cents U.S. at the time. IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3557.JPG

And last, a short trip to another park a couple months ago gave the usual clad, trash, and a couple of silver rings. IMG_3558.JPG

Those are my finds worth showing for the year so far, plus about 10 bucks in clad.

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 80

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Truth they are still out there. I dug one from a football field that was built in 1965. The Morgan was only 4 inches down and a few of us hypothesized it was used by a referee as a heads or tail coin at the beginning of the game. It was a great Christmas Eve Day (2016) hunt since I also dug my 1st class ring during the same hunt. I did find the owner a few states away and he told me to keep the ring.

View attachment 1589658

That’s awesome Loco what a day that must of been. I did find a 1829 8 Reales in a sidewalk strip at 6 months detecting. I’ve been chasing that high ever since. IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1997.JPG

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Dirtlooter. Yeah, as a matter of fact they were. About two feet apart. I was thinking the same thing. Same person lost them. I have gone back to that park a few times, and there is a lot of clad still in the ground, but I haven't found any more rings. The flying, biting bugs are really bad there, but I will go back. Just have to remember the Deet.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's some nice big OLD silver Truth! A beautiful coin.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I see one of these I think “How the HELL does someone lose something that big?” That is amazing and definitely high on the list for this guy.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I see one of these I think “How the HELL does someone lose something that big?” That is amazing and definitely high on the list for this guy.

I went back to the same spot yesterday, and hit it pretty hard. I feel fairly sure they only lost one on that piece of sloping ground. Two hours of cans, tabs, clad and deer flies chewing on me. I would have stayed longer, but was giving up too much blood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread