1890 V Nickel & Wieland Beer Bottle Opener

S

seger98

1890 V Nickel & Wieland Beer Bottle Opener

Went out with MisterBeee today to another mine here in northwest AZ. The very first thing I found was the 1890 V nickel, making it the oldest V nickel I have found to date. Not far away from the nickel was this really neat old bottle opener, says wieland beer on it, looked it up in google and found that the brewery was in bussiness from 1856-1920. In San Francisco CA.

Went to another mine site & found the ring, doesn't say anything on the inside.

Any price on the bottle opener would be appreciated. I'm sure there is someone out there with the knowledge on it. I'm sure it's worth more then the nickel..

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 703
Upvote 0

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Re: 1890 V Nickel & Wieland Beer Bottle Opener

bottle openers are collectable to a lot of people, I have a bunch of old "church keys" most go for around a dollar, but depending on rarity that price goes up.

I'm going to guess about $5 or so just because of the age, since you know it was made before 1920.

OP
OP
S

seger98

Thanks Ken, I would have thought it would be more, anyone else know?

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I'm just guessing at the price, it could go for more, it's just a strange market with brewery collectibles, I've got some things that I thought would be worth a bundle, only to find out that the collectors aren't interested, and then I've had things that I thought were practically worthless get a high dollar. One example is old labels, I have a crate of unused labels from the old abandoned brewery here, and local collectors want them, but that's about it. I tried to interest people outside Washington, and no luck.....

It's the kind of thing that might really excite a collector in San Francisco where the brewery was, due to the local connection, but a guy on the other side of the country might not be interested at all.

midnightguy

May 20, 2006
Upstate NY

Hi, What you have there is a Pre Prohibition bottle opener with a Presto lite key hole. The square hole was to be used for turning the valve on old gas lights used on early automobiles.. Depending on how it would clean up you could expect between $12- $22 or so for it on Ebay. Nice Find...

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool finds ... haven't seen too many old bottle openers found before and your's is a nice one ~ congratz and continued good hunting ~ Jimmy

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300

Nice..... your finding bottle openers and all i can find is caps and pull tabs. Great finds thanks for sharing.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seger,
Congrats on your oldest "V" nickel. Great job.
I love that old opener. Very cool.
Congrats,
MM

Ocean Oso

Mar 6, 2008
Galveston Island

Depending on who wants it, the price could be up to $50 on the bottle opener on ebay. You will see a Dixie Hatchet opener in mint condition upwards of $200 on ebay ever so often.

FlatCat

Feb 23, 2008
Palm Bay, Florida, USA
Detector(s) used
White's

Nice V, seger! :icon_thumleft:

I was wondering what the square hole in the opener was for...thanks, midnightguy... :hello2:

OP
OP
S

seger98

FlatCat said:
Nice V, seger! :icon_thumleft:

I was wondering what the square hole in the opener was for...thanks, midnightguy... :hello2:

I don't have a clue! I was hoping someone one here could tell me :icon_scratch:

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

midnightguy said:
Hi, What you have there is a Pre Prohibition bottle opener with a Presto lite key hole. The square hole was to be used for turning the valve on old gas lights used on early automobiles.. Depending on how it would clean up you could expect between $12- $22 or so for it on Ebay. Nice Find...

^
'
'
'

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Cool lot, nice. :thumbsup: