possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNETERS,
I hope everyone had a great week. When I first started metal detecting and posting to this site I was under the impression that a spot that I found on my property was just a old home site due to a depression similar to a cellar hole. I still believe it may have been a home site at one time but after breaking through the nail barrier I have started to find things that lead me to think I have discovered a old sawmill. I starting finding saw blade teeth several months back and thanks to junkdigger for identifying them. Then the other day I found a peavy and a brass plate and thanks to everyone for their help and information on those items I now know more about this site and that's why I am going to call it The Old Sawmill. I still haven't found it on a map but I'm still researching it. Anyway, I went back out for a few hours today and of course I cleaned up lots more nails but I also found some neat stuff so I thought I'd share it. The coolest thing today was the brass valve. Also the little snaps say SCOVILL MFG CO on them so if anyone has any info an them, please let me know.
030708.JPG
valve030708.JPG

Thanks for looking and if you haven't seen the brass plate yet, check it out: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,144606.0.html

Happy Hunting to all and I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Ed

Upvote 0

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs...Cool Relics, looks like you scored alittle of everything...Congrats on your finds...HH

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Treasure O'Tales. I'm gonna send PBK a pm and ask him to take a look at the snaps. I know he's the button man but I don't know if he does snaps. The backmark on them is SCOVILL MFG CO. From what I've found on the Scovill backmarks, it makes a difference whether o in the CO was capitalized which it is and whether it says MFG or MG or MF'G, whether or not it even has the MFG CO in it or whether the backmark contains the city and state. So many things in determining the age. I guess that the research is the real treasure hunt or at least part of it. I told my wife just last week that I had hoped to find a coin, button, or something with a date or something I could use to help date the site and maybe between these snaps and the brass plate I found I'll get an idea. Thanks again and thank you all for the comments.
HH,
Ed

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to find the buttons! It's great to know the date of the site. I hope you can get the ID on them.

Congrats on those finds, Possum. :) Nana

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Are those small, round things in the second row buttons? If so, they could help date your site if anything is written on them. I love old lumbercamps, hope you continue to find interesting things at your place. It's all good.

Info about buttons produced by Scovill Manufacturing:
http://www.relicman.com/backscovillm.htm

Info about camera equipment manufacted by Scovill:
http://www.fiberq.com/cam/sco.htm

Perhaps your latches are from wooden camera cases?

Hey TreasureTales,
I think I found out what those little latches are. I remembered seeing some like them before but couldn't put my finger on it and then it hit me the other day. I had seen these type latches or buckles on a old pair of boots. I think they were galoshes. Anyway I found a picture with these latches. As you can see, I have only found one side of the latch.

03222008450.jpg

Thanks again for your comment.
HH,
Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread