1891 IH , CW relics, & JFK Rose again!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1891 IH , CW relics, & JFK Rose again!!!

My Saturday hunt was shortened to only 4 hours due to rain. We need rain BAD, so I'm happy we got some.
I started out hitting pasture #2 this morning and only finished half of it so far. I hit an area that seemed to be a CW relic hotspot.
Two CW bullets, chunk of lead, harmonic reed, and an iron piece that I am hoping can be ID'd as a CW relic too.
I wanted to cover other areas too, so I moved into the woods for awhile, pulling up a few buttons and a Big Frosty bottle.
I could see the sky getting dark, so I hit the yard around the house last.
Not a great day, but not too bad. The IH was frosting on the cake! :D
Here are my finds today:

*1891 IH (front yard)

*"London Colour Superfine" 18mm flat button (woods)

* Two CW bullets , lead chunk, and harmonica reed. (pasture)

*Unknown iron piece. Is this a CW gun tool? I swear I've seen something like this posted before on TN as a gun tool. Any idea?

*Oval buckle. (front of house)
Is this Colonial era?

*Wm. Rogers silver spoon (back yard)

* "John F. Kennedy" rose tag. He will be missed.

*"Big Frosty" bottle with "Hutaff" on the bottom. (woods)
Any idea on the age of this one?

Thanks for looking.
Hope you all did well this weekend.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-107S.JPG
    MVC-107S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 692
  • MVC-109S.JPG
    MVC-109S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 684
  • MVC-118S.JPG
    MVC-118S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 707
  • MVC-110S.JPG
    MVC-110S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 697
  • MVC-111S.JPG
    MVC-111S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 696
  • MVC-112S.JPG
    MVC-112S.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 691
  • MVC-113S.JPG
    MVC-113S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 687
  • MVC-114S.JPG
    MVC-114S.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 684
  • MVC-115S.JPG
    MVC-115S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 677
  • MVC-116S.JPG
    MVC-116S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 683
  • MVC-117S.JPG
    MVC-117S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 695
  • MVC-119S.JPG
    MVC-119S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1891 IH , CW relics, & JFK Rose again!!!

WTG MM :thumbsup: glad you got out saturday ! I had to work saturday so no hunt for me :'( and sunday is grandaughters birthday but I'm hopeing to get out for a couple hours :icon_sunny: congrats on the finds MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Nice find's Doug....I have to agree with MonkeyBoy,the oval item remind's me of some kind of brooch/pin.Congrat's on the lead too....start diving into the thick stuff now before it's too late.HH to Ya!!!

Thanks Civil.
You're right, I need to get my butt out more into the woods before it's too late. I can save the easy pasture gridding for later.
I saw some snake bite protective leg pieces in a Cabella's magazine last week. They cover from your knees down. May not be a bad investment. Ticks I can deal with, but snakes, NOT!!! :o :D
-MM-

weasel606 said:
WTG MM :thumbsup: glad you got out saturday ! I had to work saturday so no hunt for me :'( and sunday is grandaughters birthday but I'm hopeing to get out for a couple hours :icon_sunny: congrats on the finds MM

Weasel,
WORK on a Saturday???? What kind of employer does that? No respect. Go in and tell them that Saturday is your metal detecting day, and you're not going to do that anymore. :D :thumbsup:
Happy birthday to your Grandaughter. She has a great Grandpa.
-MM-

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay Doug...Let's talk about that Bottle you got...First check for a seamline in the neck of the bottle. Does the line stop in the neck? If it runs all the way up to the lip and through it then it was made after 1907.

Don't dispair though...If it's not a well-known brand that could be a rare bottle. I have not heard of the product name before...I will check--Rick

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wyattrr said:
Okay Doug...Let's talk about that Bottle you got...First check for a seamline in the neck of the bottle. Does the line stop in the neck? If it runs all the way up to the lip and through it then it was made after 1907.

Don't dispair though...If it's not a well-known brand that could be a rare bottle. I have not heard of the product name before...I will check--Rick

Thanks Wyatt.
It runs through the lip. I was thinking maybe 1950's era, but I've never heard of this brand?
-MM-

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Site # 1 Big Frosty embossed, Hutaff
This is a flavor bottle once used by Pepsi.
In Ayers' Pepsi price-guide, it is listed as a rare bottle

Site # 2 21st September 2002 ISSN: 1541-776X

The Weekly e-Zine for Soda Memorabilia
Collectors Worldwide

Q. Regarding last week's question from Lisa Beeson about her embossed Big Frosty bottle :

This bottle is indeed listed on page 43 of James Ayers' Pepsi-Cola Bottles Collectors Guide for $45, but I looked at the wrong bottle for the rareness level of 2. The bottle is listed in the book at a rareness level 4, which means it is RARE. Thank you to "PepsiDavid" Gerger, for bringing this to my attention.

Hope that's a start...RW

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wyattrr said:
Site # 1 Big Frosty embossed, Hutaff
This is a flavor bottle once used by Pepsi.
In Ayers' Pepsi price-guide, it is listed as a rare bottle

Site # 2 21st September 2002 ISSN: 1541-776X

The Weekly e-Zine for Soda Memorabilia
Collectors Worldwide

Q. Regarding last week's question from Lisa Beeson about her embossed Big Frosty bottle :

This bottle is indeed listed on page 43 of James Ayers' Pepsi-Cola Bottles Collectors Guide for $45, but I looked at the wrong bottle for the rareness level of 2. The bottle is listed in the book at a rareness level 4, which means it is RARE. Thank you to "PepsiDavid" Gerger, for bringing this to my attention.

Hope that's a start...RW

THANK YOU!!! Great info. I had better get out there and look for more bottles. There is a large deep area in the woods that a stream ran through at one time. There are bottles and glass items that I have spotted just walking by. The one I found on the surface a few weeks back was a perfume bottle from the early 1900's in beautiful shape. I'll keep my eyes open next time. Again, thanks Wyatt.
-MM-

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Nice stuff Doug. Every Hunt yeilds some good stuff. :) I like how you sorted things by location. That place is producing a decent number of IH's.

Man, I hate those rose tags. :angry5:

Still too much snow here for detecting. We are suppose to get rain tomorrow so we should be good for the weekend. 8)

Bob

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds Doug. How the heck did we miss the IH in the front yard? ???

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwsnc said:

It was right where their son parks his car out front. :D
I got all excited today, as I found two coins out in the woods. It was a two dime pocket spill. :D Anytime I find a coin in the woods it's a great feeling. Turns out they were only a 1966 & 1968. So close to silver. :'(
-Doug-

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ModernMiner said:
rwsnc said:

I got all excited today, as I found two coins out in the woods. It was a two dime pocket spill. :D Anytime I find a coin in the woods it's a great feeling. Turns out they were only a 1966 & 1968. So close to silver. :'(
-Doug-
By the way.... good Pasture finds. Oh yeah.... about those little piles of mud in the pasture..... they're not mud
49.gif
8)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwsnc said:
ModernMiner said:
rwsnc said:

-Doug-
By the way.... good Pasture finds. Oh yeah.... about those little piles of mud in the pasture..... they're not mud
49.gif
8)

Yeah, and the sad thing is they don't taste bad when you're hungry either. I think I've been watching too much Survivorman?
I found two more 1800's buttons today in that horse poo again. That make three poo buttons now. Maybe I'm on to something? Hmmmm.
-Doug-

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ModernMiner said:
rwsnc said:
ModernMiner said:
rwsnc said:

-Doug-
49.gif
8)

Yeah, and the sad thing is they don't taste bad when you're hungry either. I think I've been watching too much Survivorman?
I found two more 1800's buttons today in that horse poo again. That make three poo buttons now. Maybe I'm on to something? Hmmmm.
-Doug-

I'll say one thing about you. When you're finished with a place... there's nothing left to be found. You're definitely the
15_3_40.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread