1892 Barber Quarter - Gold Jewelry piece

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I haven't post much lately. I have been finding a lot of stuff but nothing like the awesome treasures I see elsewhere on this forum! Seeing all of those does get me motivated to go out each time, hoping to find something worth posting.

Still hunting the same spot since August and it has been a pretty decent site. I keep finding silver every now and then but I hit on a good spot yesterday and got a nice handful of coins. 1892 "O" Barber quarter, a vey worn 1907 Barber dime, 1920 Mercury, 1917 "S" Buffalo nickel, 1906 Indian cent, and three early wheats - 1911 "D", 1919, 1916 "D". Also found a small rusted up pen knife and another marble. (Found 13 marbles there so far). I have also found many rusted up relics - mostly belt buckles, buttons and other misc items. Trying to read up on buttons and date some of these. They were the deepest finds so far - about 8 inches down.

Side note: I took some time off from this site and hunted a park for a change and picked up a few rings - costume jewelry though, and a 1950's ladies watch - but I think I found a piece of gold jewelry too. I haven't had it checked out but it came out of the ground shining brightly. It's looks to be stamped with some animal images. Any thoughts on it's origin would be welcome. (It's 2" long and 1/2" wide - not stamped or marked. Heavier than it looks.)

My season is about over now as it's getting colder. Then it's research time and relic cleaning for the winter.

Good luck out there everyone!

Attachments

• oct 4 group.jpg
    oct 4 group.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 642
  • oct 4 barber quarter - A.jpg
    oct 4 barber quarter - A.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 639
  • oct 4 barber mercury dimes - A.jpg
    oct 4 barber mercury dimes - A.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 633
  • oct 4 buffalo nickel - A.jpg
    oct 4 buffalo nickel - A.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 624
  • oct 4 early wheats.jpg
    oct 4 early wheats.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 621
  • oct 4 indian head cent.jpg
    oct 4 indian head cent.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 638
  • relic gp 1.jpg
    relic gp 1.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 616
  • straus token - A.jpg
    straus token - A.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 609
  • straus token - B.jpg
    straus token - B.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 608
  • sheffield watch 1.jpg
    sheffield watch 1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 2 inch long half inch wide gold piece.jpg
    2 inch long half inch wide gold piece.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 595
  • 2 inch long half inch wide gold piece B.jpg
    2 inch long half inch wide gold piece B.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sure looks like gold to me, but doesn't look like a ring. Bulls on gold look Minoan or Greek. Maybe something closer to a collar, or perhaps 1/3 of a circular emblem? Could be Spanish, too.

I was looking forward to seeing the 1920 Merc, but your close-up shows lots of damage: where did that come from?

Nice handful though, and glad you're finding something worth putting in the piggy bank.

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
I was looking forward to seeing the 1920 Merc, but your close-up shows lots of damage: where did that come from?

Yea - I dinged a few of them. The spot where I was digging didn't allow for a lot of freedom of movement and I had to crawl under a lot of bushes/shrubs to get at them. (It was also on a pretty steep part of a hill too) I'll try and be more careful in the future. Before I started getting some decent hits I was mostly finding nails and that may have contributed to my carelessness, expecting some junk when in fact it was a decent find. It was a harsh lesson to learn not to assume what was being dug up.

Thanks for the ideas on the gold. I figure it may have fallen off someone's necklace or something. Wasn't very deep - only about 4 inches.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
You're making some awesome finds yourself. Keep up the good work.

Bob

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 1911 d penny. 6 dollars on up. :icon_thumright: 1892 0 barber quarter,18 dollars on up. :icon_thumleft: davidhall.com for coin values

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ such great finds there! WOOHOO!!!

The funny thing is that you make no mention of the trade token! THAT is an awesome find! I've been detecting for 18 years and I think I've found less than 20 trade tokens in that time.

I looked at Richard Greever's trade token website ~ http://tokencatalog.com/ ~ and I noticed your token pictured there ~ actually YOUR token! SO COOL!!!

I'll take a trade token over a common date silver coin anyday!

8^)

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more nice finds and good to see you back here posting them! :thumbsup: HH!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good group of finds there. Glad to see you're still at it !!!

OP
OP
black651

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments!

treasuredog : Thanks for the link to the prices. I never know where to look for that sort of thing.

oddcoins : I do tend to find a lot of tokens but most are from saloons ans billiard halls. Every once in a while I run across one. MN has a huge amount of them I'm sure you already know. Richard's token database is a fantastic site and has allowed me to decipher the origins of many of the tokens I have dug up. They didn't have a photo of this one so I uploaded it. Thanks!

I just secured a 6-day vacation from work starting this Sunday. I plan on getting some golf tees and searching my site in a grid pattern to really give it a good hunt. Can't wait!!

Good luck to everyone! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread