Kennedy Halves?

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi Paul. I hate to disappoint you, but Kennedy halves minted after 1970 don't contain any silver (only copper and nickel) and thus have limited value. If some of the coins are in au to bu condition, they MIGHT bring a SLIGHT premium from a collector. Also, there MAY be a small market for the 1976 bicentennial halves (again only in au to bu condition). Do any of the coins have an "s" mint mark? If so, then they are proof coins and will fetch a slight premium (again, depending on condition). If none of the coins have the "s" mint mark, and they aren't in au to bu condition, I would just cash them in at your banks coin counter, as they have little (if any) value over face. One last thing, the U.S. Mint stopped producing halves for general circulation after 2001. Therefore, all halves 2002-present (commonly referred to as NIFC or not intended for circulation) if in good condition, will command/bring/fetch a SLIGHT premuim due to their low mintages and relative unavailability (most have a production run of less than 2 million coins minted per year). I hope this helps.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 1976-S and S Mint Proof issues from 1992 on also contain silver. Not likely to be mixed in, but possible.

OP
OP
lennon631

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Clad the Impaler said:
Hi Paul. I hate to disappoint you, but Kennedy halves minted after 1970 don't contain any silver (only copper and nickel) and thus have limited value. If some of the coins are in au to bu condition, they MIGHT bring a SLIGHT premium from a collector. Also, there MAY be a small market for the 1976 bicentennial halves (again only in au to bu condition). Do any of the coins have an "s" mint mark? If so, then they are proof coins and will fetch a slight premium (again, depending on condition). If none of the coins have the "s" mint mark, and they aren't in au to bu condition, I would just cash them in at your banks coin counter, as they have little (if any) value over face. One last thing, the U.S. Mint stopped producing halves for general circulation after 2001. Therefore, all halves 2002-present (commonly referred to as NIFC or not intended for circulation) if in good condition, will command/bring/fetch a SLIGHT premuim due to their low mintages and relative unavailability (most have a production run of less than 2 million coins minted per year). I hope this helps.
No disappointment what so ever, and thank you very much, you taught me a lot about them! They are owned by someone else and if I was able to turn them over, I would have, but I'll just pass the info on and let them decide what they want to do. Again, thank you for the education...Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread