1892 Quarter, Barber Dime and other finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My son and I had a pretty good weekend. Put in a lot of hours at three different sites. The first pic is stuff from my mom?s 1853 place. The 1909 Al Koran pin was over twelve inches deep. No exaggeration. I had a 15? Coiltek WOT on my Quattro to find this. I was also using a full sized shovel. I wish I would have taken a picture of the hole I dug to get this item.

The third pic is stuff we found at an old Highschool site. My son found the barber quarter and the silver dime. This was really the first time at this site. We had precluded that this place had been picked over. Apparently not. Still have hopes for more from this site.

The third site was where we had found some Indian head pennies and some neat relics. We only found a couple more wheat pennies(clad was from a nearby grade school) but did turn up the old compact. We did get it open but just crystallized powder. Researched the company and turns out they started at the turn of the century on Clark Ave. Company existed until 1927 when it was sold for $1 million.

Bob

Upvote 0

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Mirage,

Wow, interesting bit of history you've dug. Very nice! I really like the al Koran pin and also the key ( looks like an old bank box key?). I just purchased the quattro and I'm finally getting used to it. It really goes deep, but you really got to know when to dig. Does the coiltech coil perform as well as they say? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just looking for any advice on this machine. Oh yea, you emailed me about the quattro (appreciate that).

Smartin

L

lancemxt2006

wow you guys pulled alot from the sites you hunted. there is probally more there...

Keep us posted if you get a chance to get back there...

HH

Lance

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, a very good assortment of finds. Outstanding!

HH :)

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you all did great! Really nice coins and relics. Good quality pics as well! Nice going. Tsgman

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three Site's You're Out...Sound's like Mirage Jr and Sr. have plenty more post to come...Great job guy's.Keep us posted and HH!!WTG.....

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a productive hunt, mirage. And I have to compliment you on those great pictures.....again. ;) They would make neat puzzles.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the replies all. Yeah, Nate is pretty good with that DFX. It's hard to keep up with him. :P I think he appreciates these finds.

Smartin - The 15" Coiltek - first gripe was that the thing does not fit tightly - can't tighten the cheap nylon screw they give you enough to keep the coil from flopping. Another thing that is a pain is changing the coil on the minelabs - have to do the fishtape thing. As for performance I think it will pay off at spots. The first spot I tried it at it did well. This was my moms house. Old "farm" house. The soil is virgin and you can dig 12" before hitting clay. Not a lot of trash. Some iorn. A wheat penny that was 7 inches down sounded like it was a few inches down. I was running the coin/jewery in auto mode.
Now the next day at the other site I struggled a little with it. There was a lot of clay and a fair amount of trash. Man those pull tabs can be hard to pinpoint when they are on the surface! I started a coin garden to give do a little more controlled testing with it. I think it will be a good coil for farmlands - you can cover a lot of ground and it will give extra depth. Anyway, I'm still learning the machine. It takes time.

Bob(Mirage)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
You and your son made some spectacular digs over the weekend. Congrats to your son on the two Barber coins. WTG! on that Al Koran pin from 1909. Do you know what kind of metal it is made of and what Al Koran is ? I really like the pics and layout.
Best of luck to you. HH!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds you two. I love the tokens, thats my down fall, I love to find
tokens.

I think I need to take a drive up to Cleveland and do some detecting haha, just
kidding there are plenty of sites to hunt down here near Findlay Ohio.

I know you guys are hunting with some great machines and I also have them, but
I'm also using the new Garrett ACE 250. I was out with it yesterday, kinda muddy,
but got a signal that said 6 inches and sure enough down around 7 inches was a
1917 wheatie. When I got the signal it just about blew my headset off,
it was so loud. For a not so expensive machine, the ACE 250 is a GREAT backup
machine and in my case i'm starting to go over some of my old sites with it.

HH you guys, Ringfinder

P.S. GREAT PICTURES, it's always nice to have a picture of your find!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds you two!

Ya'll are finding some awesome keepers!

Nana ;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
That is a great group of finds,,, WTG!!!
Good luck, & happy hunting~

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee
Bob,

Thanks for the input for the coiltek coil. I think I'll hold off buying one untill I have a better feel of the stock coil. This is one sensitive machine.

HH,
Smartin

ps: have you seen the coil lock available for the quattro? Birch Engineering (all the info I have, listed in "Mastering the Quattro" book)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you guys had a heck of a day....nice assortment of relics and coins....I like the tokens, the scout knife looks like the one I have found.....Plus the first pic in the top right corner ! Is that a match Box? it looks like it is made of metal and has a nice design on it.........Keep on Digging!!!! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread