1897 "Base Ball" Schedule book Found...value?

seeknfind

Aug 8, 2008
Washington County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1897 "Base Ball" Schedule book Found...value?

A few years ago, my father found an old baseball schedule book from the 1897 season contained within a wall while he was remodeling an old house in Northwestern PA. The book measures 4 1/4" high x 2 1/2" wide. The book contains approx. 50 pages, most of which contain blank box score charts and various advertisements. Most notably were seven pages containing paragraphs describing ALL of the "Base Ball" rules of the day. One page also contained a listing of the top players from both leagues, based on batting average from 1896 (pic below).
I've tried to find the value (if any) of this book by checking eBay, and Google using various keyword searches, but have not yet found reference to another book like this. As a metal detector enthusiast, I am a frequent reader of this site, and have always enjoyed the tips and analysis provided. I'm hoping that one of you experts out there may be able to offer a suggestion as to how to go about researching the value for an item such as this.

Thanks, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0645_Cover_h.JPG
    IMG_0645_Cover_h.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_0640_Cover_W.JPG
    IMG_0640_Cover_W.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_0651_BA.JPG
    IMG_0651_BA.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 674

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1897 "Base Ball" Schedule book Found...value?

I'd suggest an auction house like heritage auctions. They will tell you.
This may be really valuable. A lady recently found one of the first baseball cards from the 1800's. She ut it on ebay and it skyrocketed right away, so she ended the auction and put it up for a real auction. I think she got something like $97000 for it.

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon

Check some sports memorabilia shops, and also check names of players, looking for those that are in the hall of fame. If there are any drawings of old stadiums and such in the book it will also add to the value. If you plan on selling it do not take the first price that comes along, and check with a couple places. Follow also what coinshooter said about auction houses. Just to let you know I am a sports nut and never seen anything like this. Great find, and keep out of sunlight.

OP
OP
S

seeknfind

Aug 8, 2008
Washington County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the replies, and the tips. I'll see if I can get some additional pictures posted soon. I'll follow your suggestion on the auction houses, and keep you posted on what I can find out.

Thanks again!

Looking on ABE Books, I found 3 schedules from the late 1800's that were from various companies (not the Washington post) and the given prices were $250, $300, and $1,000.(Spalding 1890)
The lower priced ones were in bad condition. I would have had better luck if I could read who published your book (written on the bottom of cover) and if there is any info on the first couple of pages.
Anyways, this little bit of info is an indicator that this schedule could be worth at least a few hundred.
Nice find!
Dave.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know a guy Named Zane Burns that would be able to price it. PM me if you want me to dig up his info.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions