🥇 BANNER 1899 handcuffs found on Native American trade site (Northern Michigan).

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1380.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpeg

Was super excited to find these in the middle of a Native American campsite (found artifacts ranging from 1600s - 1920s). These were tangled into some cedar trees and the soil acidity was just perfect to preserve them.

Regarding the location it is in Northern Michigan (along the inner shores of Lake Michigan). Early on it was a fur trading camp with many of the usual era finds. Then if became a fish camp with net floats, lead net weights, pocket knives, etc found. The remote location found is far from the road, or town, and really has me wondering why they would be at that spot. Crazy lucky to have stumbled across them. Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 68
OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one very cool recovery, and certainly if it makes it up onto the Banner it certainly deserves a spot.
Wish you could provide a little more details than just the teaser on the recovery. (specific location not needed)
If this awesome piece of history could speak-it would answers a lot of questions on the details of why they were lost.
Congratulations on this rare recovery.:occasion14:
My apologies. I had some difficulty when posting.
Was super excited to find these in the middle of a Native American campsite (found artifacts ranging from 1600s - 1920s). These were tangled into some cedar trees and the soil acidity was just perfect to preserve them.

Regarding the location it is in Northern Michigan (along the inner shores of Lake Michigan). Early on it was a fur trading camp with many of the usual era finds. Then if became a fish camp with net floats, lead net weights, pocket knives, etc found. The remote location found is far from the road, or town, and really has me wondering why they would be at that spot. Crazy lucky to have stumbled across them. Cheers!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My apologies. I had some difficulty when posting.

You should copy/paste this reply that you wrote in the first post up.
Thanks for the great response.
Dream location

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super awesome find!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2107910 View attachment 2107911 View attachment 2107912

Great history find.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like those cuffs is why we go out looking for evidence of prior history in any given spot You never know when a one in a life time item a lifetime item will be covered .Great find And I always fel like if I find something there's a better chance that I might find more Best of luck with locating other treasure items and thanks for the pictures

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022

Absolutely MAGNIFICENT find.

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like those cuffs is why we go out looking for evidence of prior history in any given spot You never know when a one in a life time item a lifetime item will be covered .Great find And I always fel like if I find something there's a better chance that I might find more Best of luck with locating other treasure items and thanks for the pictures
Completely agree! You just never know what may be out there from a significant event in the past

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner??! Thank you all. I was off the grid for a spell and just logged in to catch up on everyone’s finds. What a great hobby and even better bunch of passionate diggers. Cheers!

Adilda

Greenie
Dec 12, 2023

What a wonderful thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread