🥇 BANNER 1899 handcuffs found on Native American trade site (Northern Michigan).

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1380.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpeg

Was super excited to find these in the middle of a Native American campsite (found artifacts ranging from 1600s - 1920s). These were tangled into some cedar trees and the soil acidity was just perfect to preserve them.

Regarding the location it is in Northern Michigan (along the inner shores of Lake Michigan). Early on it was a fur trading camp with many of the usual era finds. Then if became a fish camp with net floats, lead net weights, pocket knives, etc found. The remote location found is far from the road, or town, and really has me wondering why they would be at that spot. Crazy lucky to have stumbled across them. Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 68

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scale of those things compared to your hand is ridiculous. How could they fit around anyone's wrists? Even the skinny people of yesteryear!

Grats on the find, though!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scale of those things compared to your hand is ridiculous. How could they fit around anyone's wrists? Even the skinny people of yesteryear!

As I understand it those are in the fully closed position, compacted for convenience of carrying on a belt / in a pouch or whatever. The ratchet is quite long to allow a more extended position in actual use. They should be around 10 inches 'end to end'. Still look pretty uncomfortable though.

Cobb3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear ya. It would be a crazy speculation but suspect these were dropped (removed) close to when Native American children were being extracted from villages and sent to the boarding school in Harbor Springs MI. I did find them on a Native American camp site. Highly speculative but plausible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread