1900 Penny

whiteoverblue

Jul 14, 2007
Hello, folks. I am new to the hobby, but I found this 1900 penny today. Does anyone know the history/significance of this one? Is it valuable? So far I have only spit on it and wiped it off and put it in water and wiped it off. Is there a better way to clean it?
Jeff

Attachments

• 1900penny.JPG
    1900penny.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,850
Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Hey Jeff, just a common Indian Head penny, probably around 3-4 bucks. I love finding Indians myself and hope you find many more, maybe the next one will be the elusive 1877!! Good Luck!!

morgandollar

Greenie
Jun 17, 2007
S.W. Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Bounty Hunter Land Star
1900 Indian head cent, worth between 2 and 3 dollars in this condition. These coins were minted from 1859 to 1909 when they were replaced by the Lincoln cent. Nice find.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Welcome to T-net!  That is a nice find!  It's value come from finding the coin and knowing that you found something that more then likely hasn't been handled in a long, long time. I think $3-4 dollars is a little high for a dug coin in G-4 Condition, but we can stick with that if you like.

Happy Hunting

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
whiteoverblue said:
Thanks, guys. I'm happy that I found something on my first day out.
Jeff

That is a great find for your first day out!!!! Just to give you an idea of it.....I have been swinging for about 9 months now and I have only found 5 of them. So 1 in your first day is awesome!!!

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
whiteoverblue said:
Is there a better way to clean it?

NOPE!!! Don't clean ur coins. There is another section for cleaning coins that will give you some great advice but the most important is never clean coins with anything other than water to wash off the surface dirt.... if you want the value of the coin to remain that is.

Great first day, Congrats ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't try to clean it any more. That is about as good as you could hope one to come out.

Cheers!

P.S. You should hunt the area that you found it thoroughly. There might be some other oldies lying about.

-Buckleboy

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Welcome to TNet! Way to go on the first time out. That's definately a keeper!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow ! great find , i havent found one of those yet ! congrats ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I wouldn't try to clean it any more. That is about as good as you could hope one to come out.

Cheers!

P.S. You should hunt the area that you found it thoroughly. There might be some other oldies lying about.

-Buckleboy

Welcome to Tnet from the UK.

I agree with the above. Keep it as is!

I have detected over 20 years & the way you cleaned it is identical to the way I clean all my coins. Spit is a good cleaner. Not too harsh.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is as clean as its gonna get.....very sweet, never found an indian tho

HH
-GC

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I agree with what the other person said about going back and hunting it again. i have not found an Indian with out finding silver in the area. not saying it cant happen thats just my experience.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking indian head! Yes, there are probably more good finds to make at that site. GL on getting them and HH!

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Great find! Yes, it's just a regular Indian Head Penny, but YES, it's awesome! ;D Wherever you found it, get back there and go bonkers detecting till you can't detect anymore. Welcome and happy hunting!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jeff. Fantastic start. I think my first find was a pull tab, so you're doing a lot better. ;D Although the IH may not be worth much $-wise, it's still one of the best looking coins ever made in my opinion. (The Merc too)
It's knowing that you found something that old that has been in the ground for over 100 years that really makes it special.
Good luck and get back out there and hit that site again! ;)
-MM-

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-Net and congrats on the Indian Head Cent.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread