1904 Barber no S

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Reminded me of the old joke where the Waiter asked how did you find your steak and the reply was I moved my potato and there it was. Going through a box of Brinks clear wrappers a second time after not finding anything on a first quick glance, I saw a dirty edge and cut the wrapper to find a 56 FDR. I dumped the roll out on my desk but didn't hear anything so I used my fly tying magnifying glass to look at each date. Near the last few, I slid a dime away and there was a 1904 Barber filling the glass. It is pretty worn and so thin I didn't see it at all before moving the clad dime off of it.

Maybe I'll check the box one more time in the sunlight tomorrow.

Also found 3 war nickels from a box and 50 CWR, 1944P and 2 1945P's.

barber32512.jpg
barberb32512.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so you edge search? do you know how many silver dimes you might have let slip from between your hands because they might not have been dirty enough. well if the rim is just dirty enough that you dont think it is silver and that you cant see the silver and there is no other silver in that roll you could miss alot of silver.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
so you edge search? do you know how many silver dimes you might have let slip from between your hands because they might not have been dirty enough. well if the rim is just dirty enough that you dont think it is silver and that you cant see the silver and there is no other silver in that roll you could miss alot of silver.

There are no machines where I'm at so I have to reroll everything. I open string wrapper boxes but the brink clear wrappers I can see good enough with a mag-glass and I open anything in question to check. I would rather miss a silver here and there than reroll fifty rolls every time just for the exercise. Usually I find 2 or 3 silver dimes on my first quick take them out of the box look and then I go over every roll a second time looking for the hard to see one. Yeah, I might miss a few but I do more boxes of them my way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread