Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am reading a million older threads here learning as much as I can.
wonderful info.

what does CWR and MWR mean? I see it everywhere but haven't found the meaning?

also off to my local banks tomorrow to see what I can get my hands on and start dabbling in this roll hunting.
seems like loads of fun.

the volume some of you handle is amazing. I will start slow. will be interesting to see how it goes.

Another question is disposal of coins? If a half is worth like $5 or so...if you take it to a 'we buy silver and gold' place what kind of offer do they usually give you? just wondering because I have never attempted to sell a coin in my life.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
CWR = Customer Wrapped Roll
MWR = Machine Wrapped Roll

Most of the "We Buy Gold/Silver" shops and "Estate Buying Events" at hotels will only buy 64 and earlier (90% silver). They will not even bother buying 40%'ers. That being said, you would be fortunate to get $5 for a 90%'er. In other words, don't bother unless you like to be ripped off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you

that cwr and mwr was driving me crazy :)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
CWR = Customer Wrapped Roll
MWR = Machine Wrapped Roll

Most of the "We Buy Gold/Silver" shops and "Estate Buying Events" at hotels will only buy 64 and earlier (90% silver). They will not even bother buying 40%'ers. That being said, you would be fortunate to get $5 for a 90%'er. In other words, don't bother unless you like to be ripped off.

What he means to say is a 90% silver coin is worth around 20 x face and a 40% should be around 8.5 x face if you can get that you would do good. those numbers are based on todays price of $32 silver. I got those numbers from KITCO wich is a great site to check out for the latest precious market prices. see link below

https://online.kitco.com/refining/refining_USD.html

Mojo

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]
Silver Coin Melt Value Calculation
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Submitted on March 25, 2012.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Values Entered:

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Quantity:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, He
lvetica]1[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Coin Type:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]1964 Kennedy Half Dollar[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Silver Price: [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]$32.18 / troy ounce[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Answer:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Total silver value is $11.64.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Statistics:

» There are 0.3617 troy ounces of silver in 1 silver 1964 Kennedy half dollar(s).

» Each 1964 Kennedy half dollar contains 0.3617 troy ounces of silver and is valued at $11.64 when silver is at $32.18 / ounce.

» A roll of 1964 Kennedy half dollars has 20 coins and is valued at $232.79 when silver is at $32.18 / ounce.

------------------------------
I went onto that coin calculator site and it gave me this on a half.

THANK YOU for that other link. will be hitting it in a bit

if I go to sell one of these where do I do that and what would be a reasonable price to receive? if the value is around $11 what should I expect? thanks again for any info because I never did this and totally starting from scratch.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You have to realize that the melt value and what you can get are 2 different things. if the guy I'm selling too is giving me 80% of the melt value for junk silver i would be happy. I think that's fair and you will find that if you go to coin shows or reputable dealers.

You also need to seperate your junk silver from real collectable value. I keep all the collectable stuff and sell the junk.

Mojo

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok not a coin person so I will have to learn alot fast :)
thanks everyone for the info.

I 'assume' a 90% half is 'not junk silver' but a 40% is? did I get that right? lol

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I 'assume' a 90% half is 'not junk silver' but a 40% is? did I get that right? lol
it's
more about the date and condition of the coin
for example a
[h=1]1839 NO DRAPERY 50C grade "g" is worth about $60 were the same coin with drapery is only about $30[/h]

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to realize that the melt value and what you can get are 2 different things. if the guy I'm selling too is giving me 80% of the melt value for junk silver i would be happy. I think that's fair and you will find that if you go to coin shows or reputable dealers.

You also need to seperate your junk silver from real collectable value. I keep all the collectable stuff and sell the junk.

Mojo

I think of junk silver as a coin that contains silver, was intended for circulation, and is not extremely rare/valuable. I think most 90% and 40% kennedy's fall into that cetegory.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
providentmetals.com offers a progam to sell to them, and they usually have pretty good prices (at least for the 40% halves which tend to be in less demand opposed to 90%). I am waiting for the price to go up to sell some 40% off. You basically call them on the phone to lock in your price, then all you pay extra is shipping which is cheap. Right now with silver is low as it is, they are paying just under $4.50 a piece.

90% halves are at $10.84.

http://www.providentmetals.com/sell-to-us.html

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
You could sell them on Craigslist, if you feel comfortable doing so.

I think you'll get a little more out of them on CL.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
ok not a coin person so I will have to learn alot fast :)
thanks everyone for the info.

A 90% half is considered "junk" silver because it's just that, only 90% pure. I really consider 40% halves true junk silver, although I'm still fond of them. Good luck with the search FarmerChick.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's
more about the date and condition of the coin
for example a
1839 NO DRAPERY 50C grade "g" is worth about $60 were the same coin with drapery is only about $30

ok this is real coin collecting and knowing what you have truly in your hand. I will have to do some definite coin research. thanks for giving me that good example to understand.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
koala thanks for that link

appreciate the help. you are making me understand now.

so while I hunt and 'find silver' in the kennedys and value in the Mercs etc....I am also truly searching for the more rare coins with that higher price.

I looked in the yellow pages under coin dealers. NONE LOL how do I find a coin guy in my area? are they kinda under a different name to look up or something lol

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Jewlery stores are quickly becomming coin dealers or buyers.

Maybe find or Join a coin club in youre area. Lots of resources there.

mojo

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks mojo

I will be off hunting places and getting ideas of how they pay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions