1907 barber dime and sterling silver baby spoon?

Kmatch7

Mar 24, 2013
New jersey
Detector(s) used
At pro
Bounty hunter quick draw
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at the same spot I’ve been hitting. Friend found the spoon and unfortunately hit it and broke it with his shovel. Any idea of what the purpose and age could be? 072D9884-DEA9-4CBF-84A3-0E668E9E1CAF.jpegDAF903BF-2892-41BD-93B8-CD61FE0C3767.jpeg9D9BDD3A-5257-4020-BCE9-1616AE613916.jpeg49A33955-CBEA-4F92-90ED-CF9F6FB12D3F.jpeg

Upvote 19
We’ve all damaged finds, that’s the way it goes sometimes. But hey that’s a nice sharp Barber you dug!

Nice Barber! :icon_thumleft: Tell your friend not to worry about the spoon. It happens. I broke a silver baby spoon too. :(

Very cool spoon! :occasion14:

That isn't a baby spoon, it is a salt spoon. Upscale table settings had a small bowl called a "salt cellar" at every place at the table and each cellar held salt and a salt spoon. Nobody had to do anything as mundane as pass the salt since everyone had their own. These were popular in the early 1900s. I collected these little spoons for a while years ago, in fact they became so collectable that there were repros being made. Their collecting popularity has since faded but I still think they are a cool relic of genteel ways in the old days.

Congrats on the Barber dime. Most of us have broken or scratched an item or a coin at one time or another. Tell him to just be happy it wasn't a $20.00 gold piece. I'm sure he will make a more careful effort from this point forward.

It does look too small for a baby spoon , so salt is probably right . Sterling is a very forgiving alloy and that can easily be soldered for not much money . Nice finds

That Barber's a beauty. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Nice digs for the Barber Dime and Sterling spoon. The dime is a GOOD one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back