1907-D Barber dime ~ 1935-S Washington Quarter ~ 1959-D Rosie dime

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hi All!

I met Ron down near the U of O to do some detecting tonight after work. Before Ron got there I poked around this steep slope for a minute and dug a 1907-D Barber Dime! I wanted Ron to go over this one area where I've been digging Merc dimes, Indian cents, wheats, etc. He's got an Explorer SE with that new PRO coil ~ I knew he'd find some stuff there too! I turned off my XLT and just watched him work it for a while ~ Sure enough ~ the first thing he digs is a 1943-S Merc dime! So I had to turn on my detector and try it out some more myself. He got a target and had me run my detector over it before he dug it ~ my XLT didn't sound off at all! So he goes to dig it and finds a 1948 Silver Rosie dime! That machine of Ron's gets some great depth!

So after a few more minutes I get a good target myself ~ I had Ron run his SE over it before I dug it ~ he says he thinks it's a silver quarter! I'm thinking "SWEET" . . . . so I go to dig it up . . . . sure enough, it's a 1935-S Washington 25c . . . . . . and I scratch the holy____out of it! DANG IT!!! Oh well, life goes on! I ended up digging one more silver coin before it got too dark to see ~ a 1959-D Rosie dime. I also ended up with four wheats that I can't make out any of the dates they are so corroded!

I took pic's of the three silver coins before and after I cleaned 'em up! The Barber dime is pretty ugly, low grade (I scratch it too!) ~ the reverse is better looking than the obverse.

Thanks for looking!
Neil

Attachments

• August25-2008dirtysilver.jpg
    August25-2008dirtysilver.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 463
  • August25-1907DbarberdimeOBV.jpg
    August25-1907DbarberdimeOBV.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 463
  • August25-1907DbarberdimeREV.jpg
    August25-1907DbarberdimeREV.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 463
  • August25-2008washington1935.jpg
    August25-2008washington1935.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 467
  • August25-1959dime.jpg
    August25-1959dime.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer
Ric I mean Neil lol
it was a great hunt had a good time .thx for sharing a good spot. would like to hunt around there tomorrow :icon_pirat: let me know if you can get out HH RonC

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Nice find ....that quarter looks almost new,,,,, wow.

keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.

db

top pop top

Aug 30, 2007
ca
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Nice fines Neil. The explorer gets great depth but the xlt covers more ground.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Congrats Neil............but easy there fella! Don't be shy to dig a wider plug when digging those deeper babies! :)

top pop top said:
How can an XLT cover more ground than an Explorer with a DD coil?

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Congrats Neil............but easy there fella! Don't be shy to dig a wider plug when digging those deeper babies! :)

top pop top said:

I DID dig a big plug! I just didn't do so good with my initial pinpointing! Ron got me all excited when he guessed it was a silver quarter! I promise next time I'll calm down and dig more careful!

;^)

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
pookie said:
nice coins. maybe you should get a handheld pinpointer...

I DO have a handheld pinpointer ~ I've got one of the best type money can buy, a pocket uniprobe by detectorpro! My problem was my initial pinpointing with my XLT ~ I was too excited to dig the target and didn't take my time! LESSON LEARNED!!!

;^)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Neil,

Nice finds, my friend. Don't be in a rush to dig those beautiful silver coins. Patience and good knowledge of the coin's position in the ground before you dig will minimize scratching them. I rarely will scratch a silver coin now. I used to all the time, but not anymore.

I really like hunting those steep slopes....it's tiring on the body, but I always seem to find something good on them.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Superb finds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Too bad about the scratches, but as you said, life goes on! I'd be excited as all get up myself. That quarter and Barber would be fine firsts for me.....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddcoins said:
pookie said:
nice coins. maybe you should get a handheld pinpointer...

I DO have a handheld pinpointer ~ I've got one of the best type money can buy, a pocket uniprobe by detectorpro! My problem was my initial pinpointing with my XLT ~ I was too excited to dig the target and didn't take my time! LESSON LEARNED!!!

;^)

I'm sure you couldn't feel any worse about it, OC, so I'll just tell ya those are some super finds! :wink:

Congrats to you two! Nana :)

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Nice coins. As for the digging/scratching...isn't "Live and learn" what this hobby is all about?

Yep, live & learn is right! But really I don't worry too bad about scratching the coins ~ usually there's other problems with the coins from being in the ground for years ~ there's usually plenty of hairline scratches on the coins that I find ~ one big scratch from my digger doesn't help though!

Whether I scratch the coins or not I'm gonna keep it until I die ~ then my son is gonna get 'em all. Then what ever he decides to do with them is his concern ~ he can keep them, or sell them, or go bury them back in the ground . . . . what ever! I WON'T EVEN KNOW ~ I'LL BE DEAD!

;^)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions