NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool..... I'm looking at it though and I think it's not exactly what it is. If it were a nickle I'd expect it to be red like other old nickles I've dug, and there is that raised flat bit on the back that looks stamped, and the details on the back look a bit fuzzy....

I think what you've got might be a cast silver copy of a pop out coin. can you make out any stamping on that spot on the back?

EDIT : Maybe it's silver plated?

Last edited:

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is too cool:headbang:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool..... I'm looking at it though and I think it's not exactly what it is. If it were a nickle I'd expect it to be red like other old nickles I've dug, and there is that raised flat bit on the back that looks stamped, and the details on the back look a bit fuzzy....

I think what you've got might be a cast silver copy of a pop out coin. can you make out any stamping on that spot on the back?

EDIT : Maybe it's silver plated?

that's a really cool find. looking at the pics, I think it's a genuine coin that after being punched, had the device soldered on the back side to wear as a lapel pin or tie tack, and was also silver plated. the square bar looks to have been soldered on as well.

OP
OP
shane41

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info jewelerguy.. Appreciate all the help I can get,,,Next week I want to take it to my jewelery friend and have him take a good look at it.. The square bar on the back does have some numbers or writing on it..But it has to be cleaned up in order to read it....Will let you know what I learn from my jewelery friend... Shane

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the cooler things you can find.
Very cool find !!
Keep @ it and HH !!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a really cool find. looking at the pics, I think it's a genuine coin that after being punched, had the device soldered on the back side to wear as a lapel pin or tie tack, and was also silver plated. the square bar looks to have been soldered on as well.

Yeah the more I looked at it the more I started thinking it was actually a coin that had been plated. It's definitely very cool, and something that is on my wish list.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, have never seen anything like it!!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread