coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took a steel brush to it. It scratched it a bit, but that damn corrosion is no longer there. Brushing it and then soaking it in acetic acid really brightened it up. It's bright red now. Looks a little off color, but with the deep cleaning (those scratches across the face), don't look quite as bad. Unfortunately the vdb is really hard to see now.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I took a steel brush to it. It scratched it a bit, but that damn corrosion is no longer there. Brushing it and then soaking it in acetic acid really brightened it up. It's bright red now. Looks a little off color, but with the deep cleaning (those scratches across the face), don't look quite as bad. Unfortunately the vdb is really hard to see now.

Steel brush? Can you show a pic of the coin now, without the corrosion?

That is a fantastic find, and the condition is remarkable.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats awesome "shooter"... They dont get any better than that..Congrats!!!!!

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Not worth half of what it was now...sorry to hear you kept at it

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I could file my nails on those wheat lines; they are that sharp.
Great save!!
Don.......
PS: Please, tell me you are kidding about using a steel brush; the fastest way to devalue a coin.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could file my nails on those wheat lines; they are that sharp.
Great save!!
Don.......
PS: Please, tell me you are kidding about using a steel brush; the fastest way to devalue a coin.

That whole "steel brush/scratches/odd colour/blurred VDB"--he has to be goofing on us haha. I sure hope so

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
This must be a late April Fool's joke. Please confirm so we can all laugh it off and have a beer that it's not scratched up from a wire brush!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let me get this straight....you post a question as to how to clean it.....we all tell you to NOT clean it....and you proceed to do the unforgivable act of a wire brush on a KEY coin? What the What?

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

maybe now if you put it on a bench wheel, maybe not a coarse but a medium wire whip.

Guardez

ps. well done.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What????? You just ruined your coin, man. Went from $$$$ to zilch.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a space in my Whitman folder that is screaming or that coin...congrats on an incredible fid!

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, I was kidding. I know better than that. Sorry, couldn't help it.:laughing7:
:>)
I have not touched it besides some olive oil. I even took it out of that after someone said it was harse on coins. It didn't do anything to the coin in a one day soak.
It still looks exactly the same. If I do anything more it will be professionally done. But....the corrosion is not coming off easily, even after sonic cleaning. I am wondering if this is as good as it gets. Hey, I'm not complaining, but if I could get the corrosion off somehow, I suspect it would only help the value.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, I was kidding. I know better than that. Sorry, couldn't help it.:laughing7:
I have not touched it besides some olive oil. I even took it out of that after someone said it was harse on coins. It didn't do anything to the coin in a one day soak.
It still looks exactly the same. If I do anything more it will be professionally done. But....the corrosion is not coming off easily, even after sonic cleaning. I am wondering if this is as good as it gets. Hey, I'm not complaining, but if I could get the corrosion off somehow, I suspect it would only help the value.

Thank goodness...you had us worried haha!

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ya scared the BEEJesus out of me...LMAO

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arrrrr!!!!!!!

Ok, you got us.

First, one of my most important tools is a binocular loupe:
GlasMagHeadBinocularMagnifier.jpg

This will bring stuff very up close.

The second (and most important) is thinking something through carefully since it is totally non-destructive, and with the right advice and course of action (that is, when it becomes irreversible) you may come out better. BUT - you only get one chance.

Metallic copper is susceptible to picking up anions like oxides and sulfides. They can be reduced (like seawater Spanish dollars) but it's tricky with copper since it has to keep its patina.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang that was in great condition when it was lost. I don't see any wear on the wheat stalks at all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread