Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be interested to see what the final answer is here. Looking at several examples online, the 1s on the OP's coin do appear to be out of place, and I see a more boxed "s" on the examples. The 1911s is also on the list of common fakes. But.....as said before, what are the chances of an altered coin being dropped in the dirt?

I have tried to find an example of a "FAKE" 1911-s and come up with nothing. do you hav a link or something that would show me an example?

thanks!

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
The image examples I mentioned were of authentic coins. I did a quick "fake 1911s cent" search, but couldn't find an example, either.

Original post edited for clarity. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The image examples I mentioned were of authentic coins. I did a quick "fake 1911s cent" search, but couldn't find an example, either.

Original post edited for clarity. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh its no problem. I was kinda hoping there was somethign easy to compare too. Im going to take some better pics tonight and post.

thanks !

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dont get what the purpose would have been to make it look liek a different date.

Some unscrupulous coin "doctor" would try to change a 50 cent 1944 S into a $60 1911 S to make a dishonest buck. I've seen this happen with a 1944 D (a 30 cent coin) that was altered into a 1914 D (a $200 coin).

I agree with the conjecture that your coin is an altered 1944 S. I can see the shadow of the missing parts of the fours.

1914D4.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid it looks like an altered coin to me also.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got a better shot of it last night thru a loop.....I still see no signs of it being altered..No marks on the coin, or anything that appears to be different than the rest.

Also there was no VDB on it either

Attachments

• CloseUp.jpg
    CloseUp.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Wheat.jpg
    Wheat.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic side by side with one I found online....I really just dont see the difference..Even with the S

Attachments

• SideBySide.jpg
    SideBySide.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 71

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
IMO, the loop pics of your '11-S show irregularities that indicate it was altered. The spacing of the date digits is too far apart from the '19'. Also, there are faint indications of the prior date being a '44-S.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a look at my 1944s lincoln and noticed that the VDB was missing. Then I saw that it was covered in some kind of gunk so I wiped it away. Then, I faintly saw a VDB. It is very small and less-pronounced than current issues.

I took a close look at your pictures and saw dark spots exactly where the initials are supposed to be.

The serifs (bottoms) of the fours match perfectly with your ones. Not only that, I can see shadows of the missing fours to the left of each 1.

What I recommend is to take a scan of it so it is a flat picture, and get pictures of a 1911s and a1944s. By using photo manipulation software (photoshop; someone on this site has to have some kind of software), create a transparent overlay of each the 1911s and 1944s and put them on top of the specimen in question. That would pretty much end the dispute.

Here is an example of an altered 1944 d cent into a 1914 d cent. Notice how the spacing is the exact same as that on your coin.

5371642198_2897a2b970_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a look at my 1944s lincoln and noticed that the VDB was missing. Then I saw that it was covered in some kind of gunk so I wiped it away. Then, I faintly saw a VDB. It is very small and less-pronounced than current issues.

I took a close look at your pictures and saw dark spots exactly where the initials are supposed to be.

The serifs (bottoms) of the fours match perfectly with your ones. Not only that, I can see shadows of the missing fours to the left of each 1.

What I recommend is to take a scan of it so it is a flat picture, and get pictures of a 1911s and a1944s. By using photo manipulation software (photoshop; someone on this site has to have some kind of software), create a transparent overlay of each the 1911s and 1944s and put them on top of the specimen in question. That would pretty much end the dispute.

Here is an example of an altered 1944 d cent into a 1914 d cent. Notice how the spacing is the exact same as that on your coin.

View attachment 915457

Yes, I do see the spaceing is further apart, I just think its odd that its in such good shape, and that it was a dug coin. I wil try to overlay the two and compare.

Its weird ot alter a coin that isnt worth much. Is there anyway it could have been a misstrike? or the it wasnt struck hard enough? The part that would have been manipulated has the same smooth rainbowish patina the whole coin has, and is perfectly smooth

I appreciate all the responses to this

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have to say that after looking at the new pics I think it's an altered 44s as well. Probably done when it was in much better condition which is why the patina is uniform. Sorry man.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that after looking at the new pics I think it's an altered 44s as well. Probably done when it was in much better condition which is why the patina is uniform. Sorry man.

Its no problem...Thats kinda why Im glad i use this site....Its just done so well....Sorta pisses me off...this is twice this year I thought i had a good find...one turned out to be a complete fake...and then there is this....lol

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked where the VDB would be, And there isnt any gunk or anything covering it up....But there were a few scratches in that are.

Is it possible to just simple scratch it off?

Attachments

• WheatMissing VDB.png
    WheatMissing VDB.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 81

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This tread is an education !!! Hope you find out your coin is genuine !!!

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its weird ot alter a coin that isnt worth much. Is there anyway it could have been a misstrike? or the it wasnt struck hard enough? The part that would have been manipulated has the same smooth rainbowish patina the whole coin has, and is perfectly smooth.

Altering an inexpensive coin into a more expensive coin is the entire reason why the counterfeiters use inexpensive coins: a larger profit margin. With your coin, a 1944s in that condition is worth about $0.50, but a 1911s is worth about $60.00. An easy profit of $59.50 is attractive to many dishonest people, and they will alter the coin to get this dishonest profit.

There is no chance that this could be a misstrike. The error would have to have been in the die, thus meaning that there would be far more of them in existence. If yours is the only one like that, it was not mint-caused. A grease-filled die is possible, but the vertical lines of the numbers would be more faded and less pronounced as ones.

The even patina could have been caused be being underground. It doesn't take that long for all the minerals and chemicals in the ground to create/thicken an even patina. But since there seems to be no environmental damage, I would say that the coin was dropped/buried relatively recently, or that your soil does not corrode copper that easily. The person who potentially altered this coin could have used some kind of chemical to even out the patina/toning. My dad has this chemical and has used it to make cleaned cents look more attractive, like on my 1922 d. The smoothness I really have no good answer to. There is probably some tool that could be used to smoothen metal surfaces, but I wouldn't have any idea what that would be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions