1914 ballfield

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like the SE if you have a deep item it wil be a choppy tig of a signal but will be repeatable. The SE only gives you an audio indication of depth when you pinpoint, but otherwise it is the same principal for both machines. Listen for short repeatable blips and dig em. Because the garrett is faster you will have more times when you pull good items out with nails and other things. but the SE can lock onto silver very well in not so junky areas.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver ring at a farm house acouple days back and it was only 3 inches and screaming silver ....was a trashy place i figured another pop can or something but i dug it anyway and it was an old hand made silver ring that looks pretty old and unique ...i also got a broken off bolt out of the same hole ...as for the coins in my ball field the oldest coin ive seen is from 65...i do always seem to find more clad each time i go in the back yard but as for the old stuff it might be locked up with the 100 thousand pull tabs and bottle caps...i might grid off a section by the old benches and see if its worth my time

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like the SE if you have a deep item it wil be a choppy tig of a signal but will be repeatable. The SE only gives you an audio indication of depth when you pinpoint, but otherwise it is the same principal for both machines. Listen for short repeatable blips and dig em. Because the garrett is faster you will have more times when you pull good items out with nails and other things. but the SE can lock onto silver very well in not so junky areas.

I do dig anything the repeats on my ace and the pin point depth reading is always pretty good ...id dig any signal at 8 inches that repeats but so far i dont find alot of targets past 6 inches but ill even dig them if there iffy i do trust the 6 inch tones the ace seems to be right on them most of the time but as for 8 inch readings i dont get too many

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no faintness in an Ace signal. A bong is a bong is a bong. It's as simple as that. On the SE / explorers you can adjust the gain so the deeper a target, the more faint the signal becomes so you can have a better idea on depth without looking at the screen.

You are confusing terminology here. You are referring to what many call an "iffy" target and calling it faint. I get faint targets all the time that are in no shape or form "iffy."

Take an excalibur, for instance. That machine truly has faint targets and booming targets. The deeper an item is, the quiet the signal. The ace has the same volume whether it is 6" deep or 1" deep.

And you have a tv show... Thanks for the laugh.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver ring at a farm house acouple days back and it was only 3 inches and screaming silver ....was a trashy place i figured another pop can or something but i dug it anyway and it was an old hand made silver ring that looks pretty old and unique ...i also got a broken off bolt out of the same hole ...as for the coins in my ball field the oldest coin ive seen is from 65...i do always seem to find more clad each time i go in the back yard but as for the old stuff it might be locked up with the 100 thousand pull tabs and bottle caps...i might grid off a section by the old benches and see if its worth my time

I've hunted some ball fields where the bleachers used to be and they just aren't possible to hunt. Most are this way, though. But I remember one where just for curiosities sake, I just dug a plug about 6" round and start pulling out pull tabs with the probe. I got to about 12 pull tabs and I wasn't even 3" deep at this point. I just gave up pull tabs from the hole. The beeps were just never ending. It was literally a blanket of tabs and no machine is going to see through something that thick when the tabs are that shallow. Thankfully not many places are this bad and you can cherry pick through these spots with the right machines.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I guess its no use talking to such a seasoned SE user. Dusty there is not a literal faintness with the 350 but you will soon learn that there is a way to see what I am talking about. Just go slow and pick the juice out of the ground. Takes a little time but you will understand what I am talking about.

There is no faintness in an Ace signal. A bong is a bong is a bong. It's as simple as that. On the SE / explorers you can adjust the gain so the deeper a target, the more faint the signal becomes so you can have a better idea on depth without looking at the screen.

You are confusing terminology here. You are referring to what many call an "iffy" target and calling it faint. I get faint targets all the time that are in no shape or form "iffy."

Take an excalibur, for instance. That machine truly has faint targets and booming targets. The deeper an item is, the quiet the signal. The ace has the same volume whether it is 6" deep or 1" deep.

And you have a tv show... Thanks for the laugh.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its been detected alot before then most of whats left there is going to be deep targets, I was detecting some old ball fields the other day where an old school set which I'm sure thats been hit before I got like 8 or 9 wheats and 4 mercs but all but one was 8"+ and most was around 10". The real deep ones are all thats left of the old coins because I'm sure the detector could get them or they wasn't very good with the detector, when I get a spot like this I only listen for those deeper targets and using the right coil for the deep ones as I use the D2 coil, my 950 coil might get some of them as long as there's no trash close but the DD coils separate much better. HH

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another option for you; find a 1910 ball field with even older coins :tongue3:

OK, all kidding aside, you would probably have even more valuable finds at today's soccer fields. Baseball is a relatively slow game, whereas in soccer these guys are flying around, and oft time a good deal of physical contact, many wearing a little bling-bling that will come off during a game. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been taking alittle break from my back yard and hitting some old churches i got acouple wheats and an old dog tag but it seems pretty picked over or maybe theres just nothing to pick over ...alot of the places i go are small towns and the ball field in my yard is from a very small town ..it does have some history being a park in 1914 and a ball field sometime before the 30's but i havent gotten anything past a 65 dime out of the thing yet ....ill keep pounding away with the ace 350 and maybe something will come out of the yard sooner or later...i still havent been using my nel big 15x17 i have about 3 hours using it is all ...it did seem to suck alot more juice from the batteries is that normal for a big coil to take more power or did i just hit a random set of bad batteries?

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got some wheats today and 2 came with 4 inche nails setting on top or just below the wheats im getting used to the garrett thanx for the advice

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Dusty, I'll tell you as nicely as I can put it.

Here is the rundown about VLF detector use in soil west of the Rockie Mountains, if you live there: I'm excluding PI's, because that's a whole different story.

(Most) Garrett metal detectors have trouble with our soil in Oregon, Washington, and N. California, and to some degree Arizona, Idaho, and Nevada too. NJ had some really bad soil too, as does some soil in the deep south. High Fe soil really cuts down on some detecter's performance, including the Ace 100, 150, 250, 350, and 1000-2500 series too. They are designed for Eastern USA and European milder soil, by using high gain. Unless you buy a high-end Garrett you will run into performance/depth problems in bad soil. As soon as you can, get a Fisher CZ, F-70, or Teknetics T-2 or G2, or Gold Bug Pro, you will be smiling a lot more. Whites do well in nasty soil too, but usually not Garretts, Minelabs, or Nautilus. (Cheaper) Tesoros do fairly well almost anywhere, but high end ones do suffer a bit for depth and cherry-picking in high Fe. The real old Garrett Deepseekers with extremely low op. freqs. did VERY well, but high-mineralization soil really requires something down into the 3Khz to 7 Khz to handle this soil well enough.

I would look for a trade for a different detector because the Aces are mostly designed for beginners, and they run into problems if the soil has too much iron in it. Many people don't need as much of a detector to search their soil. For example, Ohio has soil with roughly 1/2 to 1/4 as much mineralization (magnetite, hematite, other Fe) as Oregon or Washington State. Look for an old CZ, they do VERY well in the bad stuff, better than most, and that's why they are 1 of 2 preferred detectors for searching salt/high iron beaches. The other of the 2 is the Minelab Sovereign. Old Compasses and most Whites handle bad soil well too.

Please understand that I am not putting down your detector, just trying to help you in this hobby, and I want you to be as successful as you can get.

LL8-)

Last edited:

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say a good machine is they way to go. I hunt with several people who use the AP Pro and I crush them when it comes to silver and old coins. Their machine cant even pick up my silver targets at 8". I call them over when I get a silver signal and their machine is silent.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not sure what the soil here in wisconsin is like but i know im only afew miles from the lady smith mine that took like 300k ounces of gold out in the 90's so the area did cook well back when it formed...i did hunt 1 place with an old technics or something i borrowed before buying the ace 350 and i was getting hot rocks all over the place...as for the 350 it didnt get borthered by any of them hot rocks in that place i hunted but and i did find a dime in the ball field at 9 inches ...but it wasnt silver just a 66 the silver ring i found was only 3 inches down as most of the coins i find dont seem to be past 6 inches ... i might consider the gold bug pro next year and make a trip out west for some prospecting if that machine can handle both coins and gold it would be nice

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with SmartMoney. The AP Pro had some initial problems - but they seem to have taken care of all that at Garrett. It is becoming increasingly popular now for salt beach hunting, and does pretty well in most other soils too. I have seen soils though - that my Whites PI wouldn't work in it at all, and neither would any other PI detector. A magnetometer or magnetic spectrometer would, but not as well as one would like.

I think you would like the AP Pro. If I wanted to spend the money the Whites V3 would be a real beast of a detector, about on par with the eTrac but the tones please me more. I can't complain about the AP Pro tones either. The Omega is a (very) superior cherry-picker, and loses only about 1/2" to the V3 and eTrac in average ground. Super light-weight too, although it sounds a bit like a nagging woman to me. After having worked in the design, manufacturing, and repairing of metal detectors, and owning one+ for every other birthday I've had, I know that there is nothing criminal or immoral about owning as many as will fit in my tool room, and that number comes to about 30. lol Good luck to you.

LL

Last edited:

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!! Some of you made my head hurt, hahaha!! Anyhoo, I am new to this, but doing pretty good...IMO. I'm finding all sorts of great stuff, along with alot of not so great stuff. I use an ACE 350. Some of my finds are posted. This "beginner" machine is good at finding exactly what I want it to find...coins, jewery, relics.... I find that even when I'm in an area that's been heavily picked, I'm still bending down to dig something decent every few minutes.

So, with my ACE 350 I find that the "coins" mode is the mode I like to use best. I still find the jewelry and coins, but cut out more of the trash. Telling people that they need to spend quite a bit of $$$ on a detector to find better things just isn't true all of the time. If you're in a field with nothing in it, the most expensive machine out there won't make stuff appear in the ground. If I'm in a place where there is good stuff I will find it. In my experience I have found that the 350 is pretty damn accurate down to 10". The repeatable signal is key with this machine. While I will dig single "iffy" signals, most of the time they aren't much. Key is to get comfortable with your machine.

I find things with my $300 Ace that my friends and thier more expensive machines can't find (They are good dectectorists). It's about getting your own technique and getting the coil over the target. Just my 2 cents...which were both wheaties I found this morning (One was 11" down and from 1910)

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Some of you made my head hurt, hahaha!! Anyhoo, I am new to this, but doing pretty good...IMO. I'm finding all sorts of great stuff, along with alot of not so great stuff. I use an ACE 350. Some of my finds are posted. This "beginner" machine is good at finding exactly what I want it to find...coins, jewery, relics.... I find that even when I'm in an area that's been heavily picked, I'm still bending down to dig something decent every few minutes.

So, with my ACE 350 I find that the "coins" mode is the mode I like to use best. I still find the jewelry and coins, but cut out more of the trash. Telling people that they need to spend quite a bit of $$$ on a detector to find better things just isn't true all of the time. If you're in a field with nothing in it, the most expensive machine out there won't make stuff appear in the ground. If I'm in a place where there is good stuff I will find it. In my experience I have found that the 350 is pretty damn accurate down to 10". The repeatable signal is key with this machine. While I will dig single "iffy" signals, most of the time they aren't much. Key is to get comfortable with your machine.

I find things with my $300 Ace that my friends and thier more expensive machines can't find (They are good dectectorists). It's about getting your own technique and getting the coil over the target. Just my 2 cents...which were both wheaties I found this morning (One was 11" down and from 1910)

If I went out detecting this morning and only found 2 wheats I would be grumpy. I move on from a site if I only find 2 wheats in an hour. I'll find 20 wheats in an afternoon and be grumbling to myself about how picked over a spot is.

So yes, we all know the 350 can find coins. But it doesn't find them with the same regularity as better machines do. And the simple fact is, you only get one shot at life. You don't get any free time at the end. So if you are going to be out detecting, why not get the best equipment for your style of detecting so you don't have to keep going back to the same spot over and over again? Just grid it once and be done with it and move on to the next great spot. I've only gone detecting 5 times this year and I have 27 silver to show for it. I also have LOTS of free time this time of the year, and even at just over 5 pieces of silver average per hunt, that's not enough to motivate me to go out anymore.

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK big guy...Jesus, you're annoying, hahaha!! I've been detecting for 2 months big shot. You strike me as a guy with few friends. So, because I don't find the need to spend a bunch of $$$ on a detector and I'm happy with the stuff I've been fiding as a NEW md'er, I'm wasting my time? Good to know early on that I need to avoid your HIGHNESS. So yeah...for right now...when I find a few coins that are close to or over 100 years old, I get excited...and it keeps me coming back. I'm also happy that I find enough clad change while I'm out there to fill up my gas tank once a week.

I've been finding more than just coins, jackass, and I've been finding more than just a few things in an ahour. Your ASSumptions speak clearly for the type of guy you are.... Your smugness doesn't make you look cool....

Sorry if I offend some people, but from the very short time I've been here all I see from this guy is smart ass remarks. I won't take sarcasm for voicing my opinion.

YOU are the "some people" that I initially spoke of and it's clear you knew that.

Last edited:

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah... I NEVER said that a more $$$ machine is NOT needed to find good stuff. Just stated that an $$$$ machine isn't necessary ALL THE TIME to find good stuff. I'm sure as I progress in this HOBBY, I will find better things more often. If I find that spending $600 or more for a better machine is what I want to do, then I will. I guess you were knocking them dead right from the start though...eh? Pffft...

Last edited:
OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the 300 i spent on the 350 im pretty happy so far as for my area its been well picked over and its pretty hard to come up with good grounds around here ...i found 2 wheats and a 53 dime in 2 days of detecting...the dime was missed because of 3 bottle caps and a pull tab that were all within 2-3 inches from the dime and my ace picked out the silver from the junk so im happy with what its doing for my first machine...now i just need to find something that hasnt been raped over to see what the machine can really do ...i got this ace 350 with intent to upgrade to the at pro next year and the resale on my used ace 350 is crazy id never pay it but idiots on ebay bid these things up like mad fire so ill be happy when the return on my money spent and time used on the machine i might lose out on 50 bucks after using it for tons of hours and it will go twards the at pro or maybe a gold bug pro im not sure yet what detector would be better for my case

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my area its been well picked over and its pretty hard to come up with good grounds around here

How do you know this? What is your basis for comparison? It's amazing how many times I've heard this statement by people with lesser machines that honestly just don't know any better. They think that because they have gridded a place several times and dug every possibly target that the spot has just been killed and is picked over. Then my friend and I come in and dig 15-20 silver out of there in a day.

Heck, I will be hunting side by side Ace users and have them tell me that they can't find a single good target and the place must be picked clean while I'm finding 5-10 old coins an hour and they aren't even iffy targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread