1914 trade token: Anyone have inf. on this?

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I found a strange coin today. I am still trying to clean it up. Right now it's in a potato. It is about the same size as a dime. I can read some writing....Blakeley....April 7, 1914 (I can't tell the last number for sure). Maybe J mole on the back. Stars on it. That's all I can see so far. Any ideas?

I put it in a potato because of the reaction to starch. I clean a lot of pennies that way. I also buy instant potatos, add vinegar, add coins. Leave it over night....it works great. I learned from a Tnet member under cleaning finds.

Here is what I can make out on the coin: Front side~J.F. Blakeley. Back side~In Trade Only, April 7, 1914, J-something (nole?/mole?)

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0121.JPG
    DSCF0121.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCF0122.JPG
    DSCF0122.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Re: I give up! Help!

Iskuli said:
I found a strange coin today. I am still trying to clean it up. Right now it's in a potato. It is about the same size as a dime. I can read some writing....Blakeley....April 7, 1914 (I can't tell the last number for sure). Maybe J mole on the back. Stars on it. That's all I can see so far. Any ideas?
I will post a pic. tomorrow.

What's it made out of?

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

It reminds me of a penny, or an old indian head patina. It has some green on it...does that mean copper?

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't wait to see what you've found.
I am intriegued.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Post a nice pic of it in the "What is it" section, I'll bet somebody will ID it for you the same day! Never fails!

Sounds like a really great find - I'd like to see it. Thanks for sharing with everyone and happy hunting.

Night Stalker

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I put it in a potato because of the reaction to starch. I clean a lot of pennies that way. I also buy instant potatos, add vinegar, add coins. Leave it over night....it works great. I learned from a Tnet member under cleaning finds.

Here is what I can make out on the coin: Front side~J.F. Blakeley. Back side~In Trade Only, April 7, 1914, J-something (nole?/mole?)

Thanks for looking.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
As posted in "What Is It?":

It appears to be an Ingle System token. The Ingle System was a method of bookkeeping which allowed merchants to treat customers' credit purchases the same as cash transactions. If you got $10 credit, you were given $10 in tokens of various denominations, to be "spent" in that store only. There were 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1, and $5 Ingle tokens. The Ingle System was introduced in 1908, and the company went out of business in 1919, at which time it was succeeded by the Insurance Credit System. J. F. Blakely does not appear to be among the merchants listed in Lloyd E. Wagaman's book, Ingle System Scrip.

OP
OP
Iskuli

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
PBK~Thanks so much for the information! You rock!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread