1916 type 1 SLQ? Plus NJ gold plus more NJ silver

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Here's the latest nj loot! First I hit my local beach up the street, sanded in bad arrrgh! BUT I got the two silver chains knotted together in the dry sand on my way to the wet sand! Gave this beach an hour but nada but a few clad and square tabs.

So off to another local beach, same story sanded in. Hmmm decided to hit the edge of the surf and bingo gold ring right off the rip! Give the surf an hour and nada.

Plenty of low tide left so I decided to take a road trip back to the silver mine. Managed 3 silver quarters, two silver rings, 2 silver dimes, 1 silver earing, 1 silver rabbit, silver religious medal, piece of silver chain, and a silver thing-a-ma-bob.

Check that one silver quarter closely, there is no mint mark and no stars so that is a type 1 standing liberty quarter and its either a 1916 or a 1917 wow!

njfinds.jpg

goldringnj004.jpg

njsilverring001.jpg

njsilverring002.jpg

njslqf.jpg

njslqb.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Buddy!
That SLQ is outstanding.
Kirk is correct.!

Best to look it up for yourself.
No need to call it a type 1
a type 2 didn't come along until 1917.
They only made a few thousand of the 1916 quarters total so yes,
even in this shape it is a very valuable one.

Congrats on a SUPER find.

OD

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Old Dog said:
Hey Buddy!
That SLQ is outstanding.
Kirk is correct.!

Best to look it up for yourself.
No need to call it a type 1
a type 2 didn't come along until 1917.
They only made a few thousand of the 1916 quarters total so yes,
even in this shape it is a very valuable one.

Congrats on a SUPER find.

OD

Just to be clear, the date is as yet unreadable, its either a 1916 or a 1917 I don't know which yet. Odds are good its a 1917 but you never know. Its not uncommon for the dates for these earlier SLQ to be completely worn off, won't know until all the crud is cleaned off. Sorry to get you overly excited, hold that thought until I get it cleaned up.

Charles

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
1916 would be an outstanding find, damaged or not! lets hope its a 1916! ;)

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
TEXAN Connection said:
if it were a 1916 or 17 the eagle would be lower i believe

Texas Connection is right...if it were a '16 or '17 Type 1, the eagle on the reverse would be lower. Still, great finds, Charles. You're making a killing out there!!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Yes on closer inspection (I may need glasses geesh) I can see the three stars so its a type 2 still of unknown date. Thanks guys!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee Charles, the NJ beaches have been rather kind to you so far, I am sure that has helped with your decision to spend the winter here. Ah yes, the beach that produces silver, I remember when our mutual friend got a nice find, I believe it was coin bracelet, loaded with British silver coins on it, of course I got nothing to speak of that day.

Hopefully I will get up to speed by end of the year and we can get together for a hunt or two..

Don

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II
Very nice Charles, Very nice indeed!

It seems that you're holding your mouth just right on those Jersey beaches.

Keep at my friend....

Joel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread