Amputations at the Grasshopper Football game!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Yeah, you read it right, "Amputations". I've found all manner of things while metal detecting these few short six months or so.. I'm still new to the hobby in a sense.. But finding body parts is something new for me. If it hadn't been for the ring, I probably wouldn't have found the arm. Yes, "arm"... an arm from the elbow down anyway, complete with hand and fingers. <shudder> And would you believe that the ring turned out to be junk??? JEEZ!!
I had to run some errands today and take care of a major "Honey Do" item that my darling wife put at the top of the list for today, but by noon I was free to do some detecting. I checked out a park on the other side of town, "other side of the tracks" comes to mind, as this park is in a poorer neighborhood. It was a beautiful day and I figured with all the kids in school and it being broad daylight I might be ok to search this park.. by myself. Besides, when I pulled up to the parking area I saw several of this city's finest patrolling the park and surrounding area.. Mounted Police even! Horseback! Not as unusual as many might think, after all, this is the horse capitol of the world! Lexington Kentucky has quite a few mounted "units" at the vanguard of police patrol and protection in the downtown areas. Yeah, it was comforting to know they were there, on the job. So, Detecting I went!
Today was also a first for using my new headphones from Whites! I had an early Christmas of sorts by way of a gift certificate from Whites that I used to get some cool new "phones" and a couple of hats, a new "finds pouch", a pouch for my trusty Bullseye.. which I promptly put back in the truck.. it interfered with the on button and the sensitivity control.. anyway it was cool, and everything was FREE!!! <smile> You GOTTA love that!.. so there I am with my new 'phones' on my Prizm and I'm finding stuff right off the bat, not even three feet from my truck. I swept around the parking area, collecting some clad and of course some pull tabs and bottle caps. Moving on to the concession/bathroom building I swept the approaches and all around the building finding yet more clad.. and pull tabs. I was halfway between the concession building and the larger baseball diamond when I had a HUGE target singing out in my new headphones. My Prizm surmised it was a halfdollar at about 4 inches.. "COOL" I thought.. so down on my knees and a digging I did go. Alas, it was not a fifty cent piece.. but a HUGE COPPER!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! <chuckle> Yeah, copper.. copper pipe fitting. *sigh* Moving on, finding more clad here and there, mostly pennies, but quite a few dimes and even quarters... when I got another big target. My Prizm couldn't make up it's tiny little mind as to whether it was a quarter or a penny though, jumping back and forth. At only 2 inches deep though I suspected it was a dime. It wasn't!
Digging what I thought was a dime turned out to be a rather macabre discovery indeed. Oh there was metal, in the form of a ring.. a very very JUNK ring, with a huge plastic "diamond" that had popped out of its setting, but there in the same hole with the ring was a hand! Four fingers and a thumb in a claw like clench as if trying to hold on to the ring I'd just found. After the shock wore off, I carefully cleared a bit more dirt away from the startling appendage and discovered that it was still attached to the wrist, and to a forearm. The arm was severed at the elbow joint. It was pale, very pale... As I sat back on my heels to try to decide what to do, up walks two of the mounted police officers (on horseback) that I saw earlier. They asked me if I'd found anything interesting today.. BOY HOWDY!!!! I, with a pale face I guess, pointed to the hole I'd just excavated around the amputated limb and said "Uh.. yeah.." One officer got down off his mount to have a look while the other was about to call it in.. when the first officer began laughing.
Oh it was a hand.. on an arm.. clenched in a deathlike grip.. almost a "Kung-Fu" grip.. <chuckle> Some poor action figure gave up his limb at the park some time ago.. perhaps clinging to that very ring I found. Or perhaps it was one of the plastic footballs I found not too far from the ring and arm? Damn but they are tiny little footballs! They must be for action figures.. or insects.. That's what I decided after finding a rather largish medallion not long after discovering the footballs. It's an award from the 2004 8th Annual Grasshopper Superbowl !! Grasshoppers have a Superbowl? Go figure!
That was it, I knew it was time to call it a day and head to the house. Besides being reminded by my VERY empty stomach that I'd not eaten anything.. all day.. I still had to stop by the grocery store on the way home. Once home and dinner was underway (being cooked) I emptied my finds bag and sorted and totaled everything up.. and took pictures to share with you all. All the clad, the pull tabs, bottle caps, trash, disposable lighters, tiny footballs, the ring, the medallion, and of course the wayward plastic appendage that so captivated me. <smile> Hey, I didn't break 100 coins today, (quit early) but I pulled $7.06 in clad out of a park that most metal detectorists in this area would think twice about searching. And I only covered a VERY SMALL area of that park. Never even got to the tot lot or near the picnic shelters. Another day perhaps. Here are the pics. Hope you enjoyed the tale as much as I enjoyed the detecting.

11-07-07 001.jpg

11-07-07 003.jpg

Happy Hunting everyone!

Frodov

Upvote 0

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
LOL great, I think you write the most captivating metal detecting story's, thanks and those barrio parks are always the best the bad reps they get keep all others away.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fro, I think you have a fetish for, "PARTS", whether they be of animal or human. You seem to be finding them at an alarming rate.

Good story, and good bunch of finds.

Ken

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really should write a book. Seriously, it would be a best seller. I love reading your stories. Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread