1917 Standing Liberty...eye candy...UPDATED

W

whites6000inPa

Found this stunning SLQ in a 20th century type set I bought on eBay for just under 275 bucks ppd/insured. FWIW......almost all of the coins are EF-UNC. The set was the private collection of a dealer of many years.

The pictures below that are of the same date and mint coin....slabbed by PCGS as MS-64.

PCGS has graded only 12 of this particular date/mint at MS-67.

I think this has a shot at becoming No 13.....what do you think?

Included the 1900-O Morgan just for fun....nice clean example....and representative of the quality of most of the coins in the set.

Wyatt

Attachments

• 17-DOBV.JPG
    17-DOBV.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 408
  • 17-DREV.JPG
    17-DREV.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 412
  • MS64obv.JPG
    MS64obv.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 419
  • MS64rev.JPG
    MS64rev.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 394
  • MORGOBV.JPG
    MORGOBV.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 430

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1917 Standing Liberty...eye candy...and an eBay prize

Wyatt....absolutely GORGEOUS SLQ!!!!!!!!!!! I found an 1917 while detecting, is in great shape, but pales in detail compared to yours. I think you got your money's worth on that buy, nice to see some good coins in the EBAY lots, I;ve watched those alot and have always thought they were a scam, nice to see there are still some honest posters out there and some real deals to be had. Am sure you are thrilled with your purchase, know I would be....:) Congrats!!

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

This set showed up in the Barber Half Dollars category......and that probably contributed to very few people seeing it. Other MS coins in the set....there are many:

1901 Indian cent
1943 Steel cent
1883 V nickel
1941 Merc
1955 Washington
1955 Franklin
1964 Kennedy
1900-O Morgan
1925 Peace Dollar

The barber half is a 1900 in EF-40, and the 1900 quarter is about the same grade.

Best deal I've ever gotten on ebay. I bought a "lot" of Barber halves once...10 of them...for 89 bucks ppd. One of those was an 1892-O...in G-4, which I sold for nearly 200 dollars.

Bet I can get easily half of my money back if I swap reasonable grade coins into the holder, keeping the gems, and re-sell it.

Yep..I'm thrilled.

I saw your 1917....really nice coin to get for free....Best one I've ever seen dug.

Wyatt

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

:o W6K: WOW! Your SLQ is easily the Nicest I've ever seen! Compared to that MS-64?, yours is a MS-67! Who @ PCGS Graded that one? Look at the wear on it! Looks AU to me! Grader must of been blind in one eye, & couldn't see out of the other! Beautiful! :o

Joe

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I think they must have determined that it was a weak strike. It looks worn to me also. The tops of the numerals in the date are weak, and the shield is very weak.

It's the nicest SLQ I've seen as well (by far) and I'm thrilled to have gotten the set so reasonably.

Wyatt

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Your Stander is in definitely better shape than the one that was slabbed as MS-64. Just look at the details on Liberty's head and on the shield on the shield. Great coin. I really like the Morgan also. Happy hunting.
Bob

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations that is the most beautiful SLQ I have seen.

Postalrevnant

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT

Congrats on the buy............I KNOW you flipped that Morgan over to see if it's an O over CC............I bought one at an estate auction once (I was the only one who knew what it was), for $31.00, and sold it to a dealer at a coin show in NC back in 1994 (?), for $325.00. To a DEALER, no less. He said it would go at least MS-65, and yours is MUCH nicer.

FWIW

Roger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

very nice!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Amazing!!! :o

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

The set will arrive by thursday......and I'll be checking to see if the 1900-O Morgan is the RPM variety. It is of the slanted date variety....and definitely an MS-65 or better coin. I hope that the reverse die was paired with the slanted date...fingers crossed.

The 1900 Barber Quarter is UNC and pretty valuable as well...and the 1901 Indian cent is MS...and RED. It's a great set..without a doubt. I'm pacing the floor waiting for it to arrive. I spoke to the seller on thursday when I sent payment (express mail), and was able to find out that they belonged to her father, who was a dealer for many years. He passed 11 years ago, and none of the kids knew about this set until Mom passed last year. Why the set went so cheap is beyond me.....I'm just really, really happy that it did.

I also have to wonder why he chose a 1937 UNC to represent the Buffalo.....maybe it's a beautiful Denver minted 3 legger in high grade....I can only hope. The 2 coins I showed here are representative of the whole set....not just the cream of the crop. From what I can see....the only coin that's not UNC is the 1900 Barber half....which is probably a VF-30. It's scarce even in that grade though, and probably worth about half of what I paid for the whole set.

Three more restless nights before the coins arrive.....I don't know if I can take it.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I got the type set in today....and the quarter is as nice as in the picture, but has some hairlines from an old cleaning. This one would come back from PCGS in a body bag for sure.

The Morgan is nice....but not stellar....maybe a real nice AU-58. I think I got my money's worth....but not much more I'm afraid.

The Indian is MS-RB, The 1883 V is UNC...no cents variety, the 1950-D Jefferson is a full step example and is UNC. The 55 Franklin is a FBL example. The 37 Buffalo is a D minted one, but has all 4 legs. The Barbers are all cleaned. Nice technical grade, but the cleaning hurts them.

I'm not submitting any of these to 3rd parties.....just stuffin' 'em in the safe.

Wyatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions