1917 Walking Liberty Half-possible error?

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180602_113552.jpg 20180602_113639.jpg

20180602_113712.jpg

I dug this half yesterday and when I was looking it over I noticed that the second "L" in the word "DOLLAR" on the reverse side seems to be missing. The coin is pretty well worn and I know that it is possible that the letter was worn off, but it doesn't look like that is the case to me. I have searched the 'net and have not found an error of this type for the 1917 Walking Liberty.

Any input/opinions are welcome. If I am barking up the wrong tree please let me know. :dontknow:

its probably just wear

Upvote 0
Looks like the coin has been cleaned with a Brillo pad which may add to the suggestion that wear and tear may have caused the missing 'L'.
Don..........

Here's the coin right after it was found (before cleaning). Not a Brillo pad- just light rubbing with a baking soda/water paste. Obviously that was a mistake (I'm not a coin guy) but as you can see it was not the cause of the missing L.

20180602_131911.jpg

Upvote 0
It could have taken a hit/gouge long ago removing the L, then add the wear before it was lost and you have the results in your hand.

Upvote 0
in my opinion it is an error caused by a filled die (that part of the die became full of debris causing the next coins to be void of features). Wear doesn't fit the bill for me because all the surrounding features show even and normal (although extensive) wear. Also in my opinion it does not make the coin any more valuable.

Upvote 0
Don't worry. It's probably worth just as much as a properly struck half in that condition.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back