🥇 BANNER 1918 Silver 1 Franc World War I Identification Coin/Token!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up guys...I've been on vacation for the past 5 days and itching to get back to the dirt to dig. Went to a new site yesterday and attained permission to dig this nice-

looking patch of ground. As I said, by this time I was quite ready to do some digging as I was dang near in withdrawals ;D ;D Around lunchtime I got a really good signal

and out popped this Silver coin. At first, I thought it might be a Reale but when I raised it up and looked at it; it was a 1918 1 Franc. I was thinking "pretty cool" until I

turned it over and saw that it was engraved! Right then and there I knew that that elevated this find from just a "pretty cool" find to a "terrific piece of History!!"

It was singularly awe inspiring to be able to hold an item so linked with not only American and European history, but with World history!.....it leaves

you lost for words for a piece of time.

P1011417.JPG

Front
P1011418.JPG

Back
P1011421.JPG

P1011419.JPG

P1011420.JPG

The back reads:

"CH. MECH. R.C.CURTIS
BAT. D
111TH
F.A.
A.E.F."

Chief Mechanic [Mr.] R. C. Curtis, Battery D, 111th Field Artillery, Army Expeditionary Forces :hello2:

Upvote 1
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obscurist said:
Following the lead I mentioned earlier re: a published roster for this battery, I have not yet been able to consult a copy, but am in touch with family of the author... also found a questionaire by this man, C.R. Sayre, which includes very detailed notes on the outfit which you might enjoy looking over. Images attached.

Thanks Obscurist for your interest and the info. I've consulted a friend who's got a grandson that works at the Norfolk Blues Artillery (111th) Post and has access to the roster. Just haven't found the time to get down there and verify Mr. Curtis. In addition, there's also a roster of the 111th for WWI in the Hampton, Virginia Library, right across the water from me. The 111th is based here in Norfolk, Virginia where I live. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's freakin awesome! great research too! congrats on a banner find!

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Aha! Found a history of the division this outfit was part of, including roster, on googlebooks... unfortunately, still just initials, but it's nice to see the name and rank there in black and white just like it appears on the back of the coin you found.

http://tinyurl.com/27v5w67

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWSOME find Sentinel :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That sure looks good on the Banner.

Congrats my friend

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I think it's about time to call out the genealogists. Unfortunately, I'm not paid up on my ancestry subscription, so can't pull down all the data associated with the likely individual (or at very least same family).

I nominate Robert Chichester Curtis of Hampton, VA. born 07 May 1875, died ? 1933. Only family tree hit for him at ancestry spells it 'Chicester' and likely to be transcribed as 'Chester' on occassion.

In any case, your R.C. is very likely in the family of Robert Keith Curtis, who was sheriff of Gloucester and Elizabeth City counties VA for many years around the turn of the last century.

In the 29th Div. history mentioned above, there is also a Sgt. T.S. Curtis with the same battery. I figured these men must be kin, and it turns out T.S. Curtis is Thomas Sinclair Curtis. The family name Sinclair as well as Chichester appear going back many years in the family tree of Robert Keith Curtis.

To read about R.K. Curtis and note references to his son R.C. Curtis, who is reported here to have served as sheriff after his father's death,
see (entry for Charles Cosby Curtis, a brother to R.C.): http://tinyurl.com/34jxyhe

Here is the gravesite for Sgt. T.S. Curtis, same outfit:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25261569

I suggest someone with their subscription paid up check out these men and their families to try to confirm the match... only one exact hit for each, Thomas Sinclair Curtis and Robert Chicester [sic] Curtis... I think we are quite close now.

Attachments

• tscurtisgrave.jpg
    tscurtisgrave.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,402

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, a few years later and things have caught up enough to say definitively that my hunch was correct... Here's his memorial from Find-a-Grave:

Robert Chicester Curtis (1875 - 1933) - Find A Grave Memorial

The photo is rather bleached out and the transcription on the site has some errors.

Here is what I read:

Robert C. Curtis
Virginia
Chf. Mech.
111 Field Arty. 29 Div.
October 11, 1933.

Also interesting to note that the person who created this entry is not the same person maintaining it. This and the many family links included suggest that a relative is now watching over this memorial. I'll send her a note and I'm sure she'll enjoy this thread...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread