1920s Dog Collar ID Tag or a Maybe a Police Gun Holster ID Tag?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920's Dog Collar ID Tag or a Maybe a Police Gun Holster ID Tag?

Found a neat ID tag today. Not sure what it is, so you guys decide. It has "John G. Riley Hope, RI" stamped into the lead tag. It's attached to the remnants of a piece of leather. At first I thought it was part of a dog collar, but now I'm not so sure.

Here's what makes me think it may be a police gun holster ID tag. I did some research on John G Riley and found his name in a 1928 Scituate (Hope is part of Scituate) town tax book. On the page, he's listed as one of the town's police constables. So maybe it was attached to the strap on his gun holster? Let me know what you think about that theory.

Here's pics of the tag and the 1928 Scituate Tax book page:

tag front.JPG tag back.JPG 1928 scituate tax book.jpg

Upvote 8

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FBT DANG NEET FIND ..

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never heard of a tag on a gun holster. I used to have my great grandfathers holster from the CW. I know back then car parts and buggy parts had leather on them. Maybe it is something entirely different. I have seen many antique holsters. Just never one with a metal tag on it.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that tag. I think it is a dog tag. Could have been a Black and Tan Hound!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll stick with a dog tag. Seems weird that he'd put his name and town on it and not his address or phone number! Even the dog's name or license number would have be nice!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Okay, I'll stick with a dog tag. Seems weird that he'd put his name and town on it and not his address or phone number! Even the dog's name or license number would have be nice!

I have a silly question for you. How big was Hope R.I. in 1928? Could it be it was so small everyone knew one another?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a silly question for you. How big was Hope R.I. in 1928? Could it be it was so small everyone knew one another?

Good point! Hope was (and still is) a very small town. And since he was a police constable, I guess everyone would know him in that area.

Another possibility is that he made the tag when he was a kid. The lettering is crooked and the tag kind of looks home made. That would make the tag really old, since he had to be at least 18 when he was a constable in 1928.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it may have gone on some type of horse tack or saddle.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you are correct on it being dog related. I have not seen metal attachments to holsters in my 35 years of collecting. Metal rivets would scratch the finish of the gun in the holster. Most personalized holsters had stamped lettering in the leather. Sub 8-)

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it may have gone on some type of horse tack or saddle

Another good possibility! I found it deep in the woods, right off of a walking trial. That trail could have been used for horses 90 years ago...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dog hunting history may factor.
I'd be looking for info regarding if Mr. Riley ran coon hounds ..
Too a dog of any breed could have been a benefit to a constable.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, and especially cool that you can trace it to a local person who lived there. Never seen a dog collar with a tag like that, so my completely uneducated guess would be that it was on some horse tack.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting, and especially cool that you can trace it to a local person who lived there. Never seen a dog collar with a tag like that, so my completely uneducated guess would be that it was on some horse tack.

Horse maybe.
A running collar for a hound can have a ring allowing it to roll rather than snag ,but by riveting I.D. tag to a collar it avoids the tag snagging on something.
Fences are one snag that can tear a tag,straighten an s-hook or worse choke the hound.

https://www.google.com/search?q=old...Ksk7TLAhVDRyYKHbMEAXQQsAQIHA&biw=1366&bih=643

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a boy scout camp in this area in the 1920's or the 1930's. I wonder if it was some sort of boy scout project?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread