1921S Keydate Buffalo Nickle dug in Washington State!!! (Updated!) Clearer Pics!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! Well I did not imagine I would find any key date coins, in my career of detecting. After trying to learn my machine for 2 years now, I have finally found a Key date coin!

It all started when Nate and I found a spot that gave up 23 wheaties, and 2 indian head pennies. We went back there today, after going to another field that was a bust. The field before had soooooo much trash in it, it was incredible! I defiantly dug my years worth of trash all in one day!

After we got tired of digging garbage, we headed off to the school/lot I had mentioned before. Nate was thinking, "Silver, Silver, Silver." While I was thinking, "I want any old coin! I don't care!". We started digging and digging. Between the two of us we came up with tons of garbage because we were going for iffy trash signals trying to clear out the area. Nate got a weird hit with iron in it, and he ended up digging a 1943s Washington quarter. I just kept digging trashy targets one after another! The only clad I got today was 2 memorial pennies.

During the day, we had breaks from the rain, but we just kept hunting and hunting! The rain kept coming down even faster and Nate told me he wanted me to get a keeper before we quit for the day. Well, I got my keeper! At the time, I did not know that it was a key date. In fact, I just thought it was a regular old buffalo nickle. I was sure happy to uncover my first buffalo nickle ever! Nate took a picture of the buffalo nickle in the dirt, but unfortunately he does not have internet access right now, and he will email me the picture when he gets it this week.

Anyways, rushing home all excited that I got my first buffalo nickle, I ran to the door and put down all my gear. I then ran to the laundry room and put amonia on the buffalo nickle and the first thing I saw was 1921! I was like sweet a buffalo with an actual readable date on it! I then went upstairs to begin posting, and I found out that 1921 buffalo nickles could also have a mint mark on them. I ran downstairs and put some more amonia on the bottom of the five cents and to my surprise an S was staring up at me!

I was shocked! I started swearing and going in ballistics! Today, was defiantly a good day! Me being a 3.6gpa student sure has paid off! This hobby is defiantly the hobby that I am good at! :)

Here are the pictures!!!!!!

I am very sorry for the very blurry S picture! I will take more photo's tomorrow when it becomes light out. Also, I got a little toy lead soldier, please let me know if you find any information about him.

Right now as it stands this coin is worth $70 with an estimate and only 1,557,000 ever minted. Nate just emailed me the pictures this morning, So I uploaded them! They were from yesterdays hunt!!!! :icon_thumleft:

mattsfirstbuffpicone.jpg

mattsfirstbuffpic2.jpg

February13thsfinds001.jpg

February13thsfinds002.jpg

February13thsfinds003.jpg

February13thsfinds007.jpg

Clearerpictureofthe1921S025.jpg

This is the clearer picture!! If I blew the picture up Anymore it would get all distorted.

1921sbuffalonickle023.jpg

1921sbuffalonickle024.jpg

Have a good presidents day weekend!!!!!

Oh, by the way, I just checked my post and you can see the S clearly under the 5 cents. I will defiantly get better pictures tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Re: 1921S Keydate Buffalo Nickle dug in Washington State!!!

Very nice find.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds man, i just moved to Washington from Maine, living in Oak Harbor. Can't wait to get out and do some detecting again! Happy Dirt Fishing!

-Dan

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

Good stuff dude! I'm really happy that you got your first buffalo, especially that it was a rare date!

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good find! Those key dates are on everyone's list.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

nice find!! im going to check my buffs i didnt relize a 21s was a key. thanx. willy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds i didnt know a 1921 was a key date i just checked all mine 6 there all smoothies no dates your lucky i can see the S clearly :icon_thumleft: does that lead soldier have a whole on the top of its head ? amazing i found the same one even the same colors a little bit of orange paint and we are on opposite ends of the country it was found at a site that used to be a general store back in the late 1800,s only difference is mine has 2 legs :laughing7: Good hunt Jim

Attachments

• lead soldier 1.jpg
    lead soldier 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,368

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Congrats on the nice Buffalo nickel.
Dman

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great find-i have a buff. thats red looking also-is there anyway to remove the redness-or do i just leave it that way.
and no im not gonna use visine!!! :laughing7:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME job buddy!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Deepdiger60 said:
Nice finds i didnt know a 1921 was a key date i just checked all mine 6 there all smoothies no dates your lucky i can see the S clearly :icon_thumleft: does that lead soldier have a whole on the top of its head ? amazing i found the same one even the same colors a little bit of orange paint and we are on opposite ends of the country it was found at a site that used to be a general store back in the late 1800,s only difference is mine has 2 legs :laughing7: Good hunt Jim

Thats the exact same soldier I found but his legs are broken. Mine does have a whole on the top of its head. I wonder why that is? Do you know what it resembles? Maybe a crackerjack toy from the 1930's?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1921S Keydate Buffalo Nickle dug in Washington State!!! (Updated Pics)

Congs on finding the buffalo nickel.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detectingfreak said:
Deepdiger60 said:

Thats the exact same soldier I found but his legs are broken. Mine does have a whole on the top of its head. I wonder why that is? Do you know what it resembles? Maybe a crackerjack toy from the 1930's?
If it is its a big box of Cracker Jacks that toy is 3 " tall and weight is 3 oz today a box of Cracker Jacks only weighs 5 oz lol could be, i think the hole was for head gear a helmet ? when i was a kid in Astoria Queens back in the 50,s my dad used to work in a plant that made kids toys all out of lead every Friday he would bring me home a pocket full of lead soldiers either blue or gray with cannons and horses CW toys i had 100,s !! not a really healthy toy for a kid with all that paint lead base . Good Hunting Jim

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the key date buffalo
nickle DF. Those are pretty good
finds here in the north west or many
other places too. Gold Nuggets :hello:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great Nickel. I know there has to be more there. We just gotta get through the trash first.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread