Once okay, but twice in the same day? Very strange...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent been detecting since I had my heart repaired about a month ago... My wife bought me a pair of black widow phones for our anniversary which was on the 8th, and I just had to go try them out today..
I wrote more specific on the phones in the "general" section, but I had to share what happened today.
I went to the good old soccer field that has given me so many nice finds, to see if I could actually find more with a top of the line headphone..
I got a good solid sound, and the VDI was saying "50 cents". I have yet to find a half dollar, and every time I get the $.50 showing, it usually bounces back and forth between that, quarter, dime, etc... It is always a bottle cap... Well I went at it at several angles, and it bounced back and forth between $.25 and $.50 and I was just about ready to NOT dig since I KNEW it would be a bottle cap... I went ahead and dug, since it was saying 7" deep, and I carefully laid the plug on it's side. I began to break it apart, and there were two quarters, one on top of the other solidly in the plug... Wow I thought, that was cool... About 10 minutes later, I get another signal that is showing $.50 and again, bounces back and forth between that and $.25 depending on the angle I swept over it... This time it says 6", and I dig the plug... Same exact thing! Two quarters stuck together in the bottom of the plug!

Now how in the world do two quarters stay together while sinking down that deep? My wife thought that maybe someone buried them, but I highly doubt that, not in a soccer field...
Any of you had that happen? I have gotten the mixed signal before, and found several coins in the hole, but never stacked together like that.

Clad take today was only $2.60, but it sure felt good to get out again... HH all!

Upvote 0

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
My M-6 once gave me a half dollar signal...................I couldn't believe it when I dug up a quarter, 2 dimes and a nickel in a coin spill. I was like, "This thing can't really add..........................can it?"

20eyes

Greenie
Mar 1, 2009
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver umax, Whites M6
I had the same thing happen twice that I can remember with my M6 last summer. Solid 50 cent signal turned out to be 2 quarters back to back.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
That's awsome. I found two on top each other in my daughters yard. Around 2 or 3 inches down. I've also found bunch of pennies on top each other, in fact. In that in that 2" circle area I found 11 pennies in all.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Same thing here with my m6. And yes Ive wondered.....how the hey do they stay together like that so far down????!!!!

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
Congrats on getting out again.......and to find a little mystery, the 2 so close, and others reporting the same thing......Hasn't happen here yet.....but you never know.
HH

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Same thing happened with my M6. Funny. It was my third time out with my new m6. I read .50 cents and two quarters stuck together.

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once found five florins in the same plug of soil, two stuck together & the others seperated by less than two inches. On another occassion I found two 2pence coins stuck back to back, my next signal turned out to be another pair of 2pences - once again back to back. Strange how these things can happen.

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Sounds like we should develop an new theorem to the laws of Physics. Good find!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Coins staying together while they sink? It happens all the time around here. Here's two Barber quarters that stayed together, and from the looks of the SLQ, it was in the stack too until I dug it.

01.jpg

Here's two Mercs. When they came apart, the only thing between them was one long dead, smashed flat blade of grass.

02.jpg

I think the most I've dug stuck together was four pennies with a buff in the middle. Why the coins stay together is a mystery to me, but I'm happy they do! Having a detector that counts change? That's cool! ;D My old DFX would to do that once in a while, I guess based on the signal strength from the mass of the 2 coins together.

Sounds like a good hunt! I'm glad you're better after your heart procedure! :wink:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Had the same thing happen with my F75 but it was a dime spill that came up as a quarter on the VDI.
Glad you're up and around!
Mike

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a soccer field it makes sense. Two coins fall out of pocket together, then someone steps on them pounding them into the ground. They can't separate, so they just sink deeper, or get pushed deeper in wet conditions.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I find coins stuck together quite often. I have never found two old coins stuck together even in the few pocket spills I have found. But I find clad stuck together every 2 or 3 hunts. So pretty regular. 2 quarters together always read as 50 cents on mine.

TG

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
gratz on getting back out, i have had a simliar thing happen with 2 dimes and a nickel reading a 25 cent signal, you just have to laugh.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer my friend and me were in one of the old soccer fields at the high school he was using his E-Trac i had my DFX he had a really strange signal he said it looks like a large chain maybe ?? 3 inches down so he dug a plug and in the plug was penny's everywhere and in the hole he kept yelling over to me its endless !!! so i turned off my MD and went over to see he had 18 penny's all modern he said most where stacked on top of each other in the plug and in the hole , he thought he was finished heck no !! i turned on my dfx and ran the coil over the hole there was more i got a +74 reading 6 inches deep so i dug deeper there was 12 wheat's in the bottom of the hole :hello2: and those were stacked on each other or close what we had was a 30 penny spill years apart 18 on top of 12 .

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
That happened to me too twice in the same day, out with my Ace 250 got a quarter - half reading and but since it was shallow only 2" I went and dug it and found 4 quarters stacked an hour later same thing this time it was 2 quarters and a dime. Seems lately I have been find a lot of clad coin spills than I ever used too.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it isnt so rare then indeed!
Thanks for the well wishes guys.. It is good to have the ticker working right, but still have had so many bad days in bed.. This is only the 3rd time out since the procedure, and I am only good for a couple hours.. No one seems to know why yet, but I still have this daily nausea thing going and have to take meds for that. Now I know what ladies feel like with morning sickness. I cant even enjoy a cup of joe anymore, tried 1/2 cup yesterday and it did not settle well at all.. All I know is that I dont want to take phenergan every day for the rest of my life..

HH to all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread