1933 Chicago World Fair, IHs, silver, dog tag,....

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
1933 Chicago World Fair, IH's, silver, dog tag,....

Here are my finds from last weekend and this weekend. Hunted 4 different places. My favorite finds are the two 1933 items from my mom’s house. Last week Nate found a 1935 dog tag at my mom’s. A few days later I went there and pulled out the 1933 tag. This was in the pacasandra. I suspect the same dog lost this as well as a few other tags. We have now found the following tags on her property: 1927, 1933, 1935 and two 1937s. It took Nate and I about 20 trips searching 3 acres to find these.

Jan14Framed800.jpg

So the next trip to my mom’s what do I find? A 1933 Century of Progress Sky Ride sovenier. This was from the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1933. Pretty cool. 8)

CenturyofProgressChicagopostcard.jpg

skyride800.jpg

Another neat relic is the printers block. Again this came from my mom’s 1853 home. We have found about four or five of these. This particular one was the biggest block we have found yet. I had to wet it and do an inverse image to try to deciper what it says. Seems there are 4 different subjects written about.
From what I could make out the part about Sir Julian reads:
“The owner of the ____ colletion of watches in the world is Sir Julian G____ _____, a wealthy Englishman.”

Thanks to DCMatt for the following information:
Sir Julian Goldsmid (he was a member of Parliament and a collector of fine paintings - apparently watches, too).
FYI - Goldmids died in 1896. The Shah visited Europe in 1889 and was assassinated in 1896.

PrintersBlock1800.jpg

HH all.
Mirage

Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: 1933 Chicago World Fair, IH's, silver, dog tag,....

Great job guys! I love the printing plate. I'm with Gypsy, do you know how they got there??

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for all the replies. We have been dodging the rain when we can. The short trips seem to work better for this rainy, cold weather.

gypsyheart said:
Nice finds. Do you know why all those printing plates are at your moms? Any history on the house or what was there before?

My mom has been trying to do some research on the history of the property. We do know the mayor lived in the house for some time in the early 1900's. Someone who lived at the house must have worked for the Cleveland Leader/Plain Dealer(local newspaper). From some of the other relics we found we know that a Mason lived at the house. Also through some research I found out that the first Cleveland Masonic Lodge was formed by a core group who worked for the newspaper around 1919. So it is very likely the person was one of these core members. I haven't had time to do more research but it is on my projects list. ::) Guess I have been going out detecting too much. ;)

Dan,
I was itching to get to the berg but it will have to wait. Maybe next weekend. Even if it's cold should be able to do a few hours.

Bob

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Nice finds,Bob. :)
Wish hunting was possible around
here,but been below zero at nite. :(
I'll MD vicariously thru Tnet!! ;D
Congrats & HH

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Nice dig's guys.

Looks like you mom's yard still has a lot more to give.

That's a nice array of relics.

Made me think for a minute half of my parents yard is covered in pacasandra... Looks like I have to sneak over there now!

ZoSo71

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL

Bob-
Awesome bunch of finds.That printing plate is really cool and so is the sky ride token.Good job and great pics.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice stuff Mirage.

Your starting the yr off with a explosion. I like to do that myself. This may be a really good yr for myself also. I've been driving a 50 mile radious in all directions for the last 2 months while working.

I just spotted a really old grove about 30 miles from where I live. It's tucked back in a old neighborhood with all old late 1800's buildings around it.

My point is before I keep rambling on about the site is. I hope that this site may be as good and untouched as one I did a few yrs back. I found so many indians and v nickles at a old grove like this one.

Keep your eye out for them. Big tree's all spaced out in the backs of neighborhoods. I'm really gonna try and make this dfx convention this time. Matter of fact I'll be there for atleast 2 out of 3 days.

I'm less than 50 miles away. But my wife is due to have a baby in mid to late april. So if I'm hunting and she goes into labor I'll be able to drive the hr home.

Take care

Jeremy

R

redneckinwayz

those are some great finds.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Every time I see a post on the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair I almost cry. My grandmother gave me a sterling sugar spoon from the fair and I accidentally dropped it into the garbage disposal and when I turned it on........It was rolled linto a ball of junk! Monty

M

MiniMe

Really cool finds, guess you'll be at your mom's for a while....never seen a printing plate before, really cool. Good luck. HH

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

JerDfx said:
Nice stuff Mirage.

Your starting the yr off with a explosion. I like to do that myself. This may be a really good yr for myself also. I've been driving a 50 mile radious in all directions for the last 2 months while working.

I just spotted a really old grove about 30 miles from where I live. It's tucked back in a old neighborhood with all old late 1800's buildings around it.

My point is before I keep rambling on about the site is. I hope that this site may be as good and untouched as one I did a few yrs back. I found so many indians and v nickles at a old grove like this one.

Keep your eye out for them. Big tree's all spaced out in the backs of neighborhoods. I'm really gonna try and make this dfx convention this time. Matter of fact I'll be there for atleast 2 out of 3 days.

I'm less than 50 miles away. But my wife is due to have a baby in mid to late april. So if I'm hunting and she goes into labor I'll be able to drive the hr home.

Take care

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I hope that place works out for you. In the west suburbs here everything is developed. Gotta get out of the city or do private homes. Just found out the house accross from mom's was built in 1863. That sounds like a good spot to me.
I'll look forward to meeting you in the spring. The place has been hunted before but these hunts are mostly about meeting the people and someone usually finds something good. How is Lance? Make sure he gets to the hunt at least for a day. Tell him to quit studing so much and get back to detecting. ;) Also hope the baby waits til after the hunt. :)

Monty said:
Every time I see a post on the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair I almost cry. My grandmother gave me a sterling sugar spoon from the fair and I accidentally dropped it into the garbage disposal and when I turned it on........It was rolled linto a ball of junk! Monty

That is a bummer, Monty.

Thanks all and HH,

Bob

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great assortment of finds. Very cool. Thanks for the pix.

B

born2md

Hi Mirage,
Great bunch of finds, is the worlds fair token a penny that has been run through one of those stamping machine you see at tourist spots??

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

born2md said:
Hi Mirage,
Great bunch of finds, is the worlds fair token a penny that has been run through one of those stamping machine you see at tourist spots??

Yes, they used a wheat penny. Probably was a 1909s VDB! ;)

Bob

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

M,

very nice group of artifacts and coins. ;D

Thanks for posting. Interesting.

have a good un............................
SHERMANVILLE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread