1936-D Buffalo Nickel 3-1/2 LEGS?

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Detecting season is over in Berkshire county for 2008 :( But we have to keep busy,so i was going through some of my coins and putting them in protective holders for display. Well i had a ziplock bag with about 45 Buffalo nickles in it and as i was recording them i was also looking in the red book for the price for each of them, About half way through i picked up a 1936-S put that one in it's folder then i picked up a 1936-D looked at the book it read $1.50 for VG. Then i saw 1936-D 3-1/2 legs!!!!!!!!!!! :o so i looked at it closer with my mag glass and WOW I ALMOST FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR :o Could it be true?
Any thoughts from the experts on T-Net
P.S. This coin is in my colection and is NON DUG!

Thanks for looking
G1
The Buff on the left is the 1936-S for comparision
The Buff on the right is the 1936-D 3-1/2 leg I hope!

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 1,641
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,115
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I smeared some gunk in between the legs, like yours, so it'll stand out better. Same exact one as my coin above.

Attachments

• buff2.jpg
    buff2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 791

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
And here is the progression on the two feathers. I like 'em and collect 'em! Even though they are not too rare. I enjoy Cherrypicking them from dealers stock. ;D They're worth a little more than the price of the regular coin. And all they are is from a late die state overpolished set of dies.

buff4.jpg

buff3.jpg

Again, I would encourage you to get this coin checked out by a pro- I'd definately be interested to know if I got it right or wrong. I'm in this game to learn! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Golden1

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
Thanks Grinchy :thumbsup:
I fully understand the die polishing prosses in the fact that it removes detail as well as polishes.
I have not seen one like this before and maybe a little over reacting ;D But im going to have it looked at anyway. I will post the results when when i get it back.

Thanks for all your time and help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

G1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread