1942/1 Mercury dime!!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I bought this at a yard sale/estate sale for 1 dollar. And the boyscout match holder dated Sept 14 97 (1897) for 50 cents. It was very sad because the Old man who died had a HUGE coin collection. This is only 1 of 5 coins that escaped being sold to the local coin shop...They had some company come in to hold the Yard sale...They took all the coins to a shop in Albany and sold them for scrap prices....OMG I can only imagine what they scored!!! At the end of the sale they called 1800-got-junk and junked EVERYTHING that did not sell...This included that i know of....a 1794 dated china set...I offered them 100 bux and they said no...Then they junked it....Also a 20000 piece stamp collection. There were so many nice things I almost cried. O well.....Here are my finds

Anyone know where to send this dime to for grading and authenticating..I would really like to know what exactly it is...I looked on ebay and noticed no 2 overdates look the same. I am not an expert but I assume it is one.

Attachments

• boyscout.jpg
    boyscout.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,851
  • merc42.jpg
    merc42.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,853
  • merc42ggggggg.jpg
    merc42ggggggg.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 2,119
  • merc422.jpg
    merc422.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,928
  • merc_back.jpg
    merc_back.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,833
  • boyscout.jpg
    boyscout.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,787
Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Very nice finds to get you're hands on. You should have raided the trash can at the end. I hate it when some of these people hire these companies to sell their estates, I think they end up with all the good stuff in the end. At least you got what you did.

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
piggman1 said:
Very nice finds to get you're hands on. You should have raided the trash can at the end. I hate it when some of these people hire these companies to sell their estates, I think they end up with all the good stuff in the end. At least you got what you did.
My wife was so mad she stood in the road cursing the people out like a truck driver..While I would not have gone that far...I honestly do not blame her...These were someones treasures that they had saved their whole lives and to see them ride away in a dump truck is crushing. If i ever meet her kids I may smack them just for disrespecting the things that their parents had acquired over the years...We are not talking about trashy items...I bought a 14K gold elgin pocket watch for 18 dollars. I sold it to my father for 225........It was priced 85 and they guy just kept lowering the price.....Sad...Yet good for me!!!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
outraged said:
someones treasures that they had saved their whole lives and to see them ride away in a dump truck is crushing. If i ever meet her kids I may smack

OMG..................you're breaking my heart, man :(
give them a smack for me >:( ::)

........but,,,,hey>>>>>>> nice merc and matchsafe ;) :P

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Congrats on a great yard sale find!!!!!

That dime is worth over $1,000... possibly close to $1,500

You should have it certified and graded by ANACS,PCGS, or ICGS. The cost for the grading service would be between 15 and 50 dollars..depending on how fast you want it back.

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Dimeman said:
Congrats on a great yard sale find!!!!!

That dime is worth over $1,000... possibly close to $1,500

You should have it certified and graded by ANACS,PCGS, or ICGS. The cost for the grading service would be between 15 and 50 dollars..depending on how fast you want it back.
WOW i did not think that much. I will send it to one of them asap for grading...Who do you recommend?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm sorry to say that is probably not a genuine overdate- it appears to a die chip instead. Here's a couple pics of the genuine article-

Attachments

• 1942-over-1-mercury-dime-xf-02-03-05-3.jpg
    1942-over-1-mercury-dime-xf-02-03-05-3.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,104
  • 1942.jpg
    1942.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,357
OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
I have seen so many variations of this error...I will just send it to be graded and know for sure...If it is a die chip would it still be worth money? more than the 1.00 I paid?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outraged said:
I have seen so many variations of this error...I will just send it to be graded and know for sure...If it is a die chip would it still be worth money? more than the 1.00 I paid?

Excellent plan. It is a nice, high-quality coin either way.

Buckleboy

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
outraged said:

A reputable grading service is your best bet, I am by no means the be all and end all of coin errors, LOL! PCGS, ANACS, and NGC are all good choices.

A die chip generally adds no value to a coin. Worst case, you still have a 1942 Merc in great shape! Great find. :)

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I don't want to be a party pooper but I don't think that matchsafe is A Boy Scout item. The Boy Scouts Of America wasn't founded until 1910.

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
dkw said:
I don't want to be a party pooper but I don't think that matchsafe is A Boy Scout item. The Boy Scouts Of America wasn't founded until 1910.
The date is a patent date...I do not think it could be 1997.......It is mad old....And the woman said she owned it for 30 years...and it was her grampys. Maybe the patent was issued earlier?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin,
Great, but sad story. Sorry to hear about all the goodies that were missed.
At least you got a couple of nice keepers.
Congrats,
MM

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Sad to hear about those items, good you did rescue and shame on the coin shop for screwing those people over, deserved or not. Had one guy brag about buying $1 and $5 gold coins from a woman for ten bucks apiece. Husband died, she needed money and he just screwed her. I sat down what I was deciding to buy, said don't plan to see you anymore, left and haven't been back.

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
That is really sad because that coin dealer in Albany is a lame azz low balling creep. I once tried to sell a gold coin to him that I had purchased just to sample on the Explorer. There was an older couple in thier 70's in there selling some old coins and the shop owner was just as cold and icy as he could be, I could tell the couple got a fraction of what they thought they were going to get. Just rude, the guy tossed a couple silver coins back at the guy and said here buy a cup of coffee with these thats all their worth.

So finally its my turn, he procedes to say how this coin sucks and how they couldn't really sell it because of this and that and then offers me about 1/3 of what paid for it. I said, hmmm thats interesting because YOU sold it to me only just last month for 3x that! He got all huffy because there was another customer in the store and denied up and down that he sold it to me so I pulled out the receipt and shoved it under his nose, here's the receipt!!! I said nice low life pawn shop you run here, goodbye I'm never coming here agin! And I never did go back.

I hope the place burns to the ground the day after his insurance policy expires! Creep!

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
outraged said:
dkw said:
The date is a patent date...I do not think it could be 1997.......It is mad old....And the woman said she owned it for 30 years...and it was her grampys. Maybe the patent was issued earlier?

I agree. Definitely not 1997. It could be made with an earlier issued patent. I'd never thought about that angle. The design just doesn't look quite right to me though. Either way it's a keeper. Especially for 50 cents!!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five years ago when my grandmother passed away my grandfather decided he would contact a company to do an estate sale. He was ripped off so bad. My grandfather felt that no one wanted their things and decided he didn't want to see their stuff anymore, etc. The lady that ran the company told him she would take care of everything for him. He explained he wanted everything sold except what was in his bedroom. The lady sold (took, robbed,etc.) everything that was in the room. His coin collection that took him a lifetime and the one his neighbor gave him were gone. The neighbor had also given my grandfather a dairy about his years in the military chasing Pancho Villa, gone too. The lady told him that she didn't sell much even though I saw a stack of money that was incredible and half the house was missing. The last I heard about the woman she ended up in jail and had several lawsuits against her from other victims.

I just think it is sad that these people take advantage of people.

One last story, I remember one time I was in a gun shop and this little old lady came in with several handguns from her late husband's collection. The dealer told her he didn't want to take advantage of her but all the stuff was old and not worth much. He offered her around $150 to take them off her hands so she didn't have to worry about taking them somewhere else or possibly getting hurt. She accepted his offer. I saw the box and there was a Luger, several Colt pocket pistols, an old single action revolver, and one other. The dealer had the biggest s...-eating smile on his face when she walked out.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Judging by the suface lines,bubbles and pits,there is a good chance that is a cast copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread