Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't actually find them, but went to the bank and the teller asked if I wanted some bills from 1950. She hands me four $10 and two $5. All six bills are crisp, brand new 1950 series. They were found under a carpet and brought in all at once. Two of the tens almost have consecutive seriel numbers, 18440441B and 18440443B. Don't know if they're worth anything more than face value, but thought it a neat find.

Upvote 0

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't matter where you find the treasure, it's still treasure!

If they're not worth much now, keep them for a long time. Hide them under a carpet and in 50-100 years they'll be worth more and some lucky slob will find them!! :laughing3: :laughing9: :laughing11: :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, I hope they're worth alot NOW!

Born Free

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to much more than face value, maybe a few dollars. The bills with the numbers in sequence may sell for a higher price.

Cool finds,
I would really like to see pictures of these!

The bank just gave them to you free and clear or you paid face value?

Keep @ it and HH!!

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
They'll sell for a premium especially if they're crisp. Check the closed auctions on eBay for an estimate.

Jason

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I would really like to see pictures of these!

The bank just gave them to you free and clear or you paid face value?

Keep @ it and HH!!

I WISH they just gave'em to me free and clear. No, they took a used $50 bill in trade. ;D

I'll see if I can get some pics up.

BTW, not even a fold or wrinkle.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here they are.

Attachments

• 1950 Bills.jpg
    1950 Bills.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,372

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
You have one that is pretty valuable I'd say (...7765*). Do some research on 'star' notes or replacement notes.

I'll sell them for you on eBay for you for a cut of the profit and I'll guarantee that we won't lose money. I have an eBay store and we have 100% positive feedback so we're legitmate. We sell collectibles and other things including a good bit of collectible coins and currency. Send me a PM (private message) if you're interested.

You can sell them yourself also but there are few tricks to getting the best price and having lots of good feedbacks will also get you more bids since folks will trust you more. If you do it yourself, I'm sure you'll still make money.

Again, good score on those.

Jason

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
The star note is a nice catch, but other than that I don't see anything of value. The advice to sit on them for 50+ years is good if you don't need the money now. ;)

~Dave

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Actually looks like a couple of them are slight misprints --bottom left note and top right note. Serial number off set. Not real sure if that is a premium or not. Cool find.

Dave

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Good eye. I saw the misprint also. Not sure it's enough to draw much attention but it's definitely off.

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
TMH, Can you post the date left of the signature ? Also the "letter" under the date.I've got a 4(almost5) year old paper money price book that will give an idea of value back then. D.D.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Dobber said:
TMH, Can you post the date left of the signature ? Also the "letter" under the date.I've got a 4(almost5) year old paper money price book that will give an idea of value back then. D.D.

Every one of them is Series 1950 A .

Alwayslookin, I didn't even notice the misprints. Thanks.

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
TMH, My 2004 price guide list the 10 dollar bills in very fine condition at 28 dollars that would not be the price for misprint. It should be more. The 5 shows at v. fine 10dollars. The star note would be more than that. Remember thats from 2004 book I don,t keep up with paper money thats why my book is so old. Keepers anyway you look it! D.D.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info Dirt Dobber. I had no clue, but wasn't going to pass them up.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
You lucked out today TMH!!! As far as my June 2008 edition of "Coins" goes, the prices are as follows:

1950A (non-star) - Priest-Humphrey (signatures) - Fine:10.00, XF:18.00, CH CU(63):25.00, GEM CU(65):35.00

1950A (STAR) - same signatures as above - Fine:10.00, XF:20.00, CH CU(63):60.00, GEM CU(65):80.00

The above info is for the five dollar bills. Pretty good right - it get's better...

...Below is the info on your ten dollar bills.

1950A (non-star) w/ Priest-Humphrey signatures - XF:30.00, CH CU(63):70.00, GEM CU(65):90.00

I'd say that's definitely "stickin' it to the man". Even if they were in "fine" condition, you have 140 dollars worth of "old money that you paid fifty bucks for. That is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

as far as getting info on your oddball serial #s - check out these two links - they should help you get some idea of what you have:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Fancy-Bank-Notes-10-Most-Common-Categories_W0QQugidZ10000000001758931

http://www.tickleyourfancycurrency.com/index.htm

Keep on keepin' on.....

DD-777 :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you DD-777. I'm real happy I picked them up, now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread