Sept 6th treasure story and finds

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Here's my write up from last weekend.

Nate and I discussed our plans for the weekend on Friday night. We decided that the plan was this – sleep in and go detecting somewhere. I got up sometime around 8ish. Had my coffee and breakfast and thought about where to detect. I decided to do a quick “google earth” type of research. The lazy man's way to find sites that are not that old but will still produce silver. :thumbsup: Within 5 minutes I had Plan A, B and C. Turns out we only needed plan A & B.

The first site had a lot of trash. Patience paid off as we found some wheat pennies by these older homes:

Nateatpark.jpg

I found a silver dime and Nate got a silver ring and it was on to Plan B. Plan B (a school built in 1929) turned out to be better. We started in the back but Nate was getting constant overload signals. My Explorer was behaving better and I was finding coins so I kept hunting. Nate went out front. I found a nice 1920's wheat, some quarters and such and then I get the call. Nate tells me he found silver out front.

NatediggingatSchool.jpg

So I make my way out front. What was interesting was someone had detected this place fairly recently because we could see the brown plugs. Not that many (maybe a half dozen or so). We proceed to hunt and find lots of stuff. Really made us wonder about who detected here, what they were using and why they only dug 6-10 plugs. We proceeded to find wheats and silver along with the standard clad. All in all it was a sweet hunt as the ground was soft, the temps were perfect (70's) and it was sunny with a breeze. :icon_sunny: We found 5 silver coins at this site before we called it a day.

mostofthestuffA.jpg

threesilver.jpg

The most interesting part of the hunt came toward the end when a young kid (maybe 8-9) on a bike rode past me and stopped to talk to Nate (why do they always want to talk to the youngin'). They talked for a while and later Nate filled me in on the details of the conversation. This is how I remember the story. You will have to see how Nate writes it up.... Turns out the kid said he always see's guys up here metal detecting. He was asking Nate “very intelligent questions”. The kid says that one time he saw a guy with a pickaxe and he breaks through some wood and there is this gold down there. The guy told the kid it was worth “a thousand dollars”. :icon_pirat: Lastly the kid tells Nate that someone burried a cache in their yard and can't find it so we should come over and detect it. He turned down the offer because Nate noticed he came from the house where we saw all kind of people coming and going as well as heard yelling and screaming. ;D

The rest of the Junk – lot's of lighters!

Junk.jpg

Mostofthestuff.jpg

The last find came with the quick ½ hour hunt after work on the way home hunt. Found about 4 targets . One was a wheat penny and the other was this old Post Toasties “fob”. Pretty cool.

PoastToastiesbeforecleaning.jpg

PostToastiesA.jpg

Bob

Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That's a "fobulous" fob you found! Nice silver too!!!

Yeah, I think the yelling and screaming coming from a house with lots of people coming and going would keep me far away too.

Jim

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful fob, nice that it still has some enamel.
CurbdiggerCarl

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the number of targets you dug, that's how many times you had to put the detector down, kneel, dig, find, fill the hole, get up and start over again. And people don't think it's exercise!! :tongue3:
For that many times up and down, up and down, glad you found some cool loot!
Are you going back for the alleged gold??

Great Hunt

Born Free

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Good story, photos and finds! That fob is great! Maybe the other detectorists were using dowsing rods ;D.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs you two. Way to go on the silver & that super FOB. (Find Of Bob's)
"Post Toasties", I haven't heard that in ages. :wink:
Way to go guys. :thumbsup:
As far as,
"Lastly the kid tells Nate that someone burried a cache in their yard and can't find it so we should come over and detect it. He turned down the offer because Nate noticed he came from the house where we saw all kind of people coming and going as well as heard yelling and screaming. "

Maybe they were mad because no one could find their lighters? :tongue3:

-MM-

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice hunting!! Congrats on the nice finds! :thumbsup:

Love that gorgeous Merc, and that fob is killer! :wink:

Sounds like the old man with the pick might have been digging up his stash - maybe the kid was talking about marijuana when he said gold? :tard:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story and nice finds. With that tagging on the side of that building and all of the noise, sounds like you were in a bad part of Cleveland :o

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure cleaned up for someone just hitting it prior. WTG ! Love the fob as well.

Brian

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Born Free said:
Looking at the number of targets you dug, that's how many times you had to put the detector down, kneel, dig, find, fill the hole, get up and start over again. And people don't think it's exercise!! :tongue3:
For that many times up and down, up and down, glad you found some cool loot!
Are you going back for the alleged gold??

Great Hunt

Born Free

One thing about my once a week posts - usually they are from about 3 different hunts. But you are right it does burn a few calories. :) Going back for the gold? I'm a little skeptical but wondering myself about what was found. If it was me talking to that kid - I would have cross examined him to see if there were any inconsistencies in his story. ;D :icon_pirat:

ModernMiner said:
Nice digs you two. Way to go on the silver & that super FOB. (Find Of Bob's)
"Post Toasties", I haven't heard that in ages. :wink:
Way to go guys. :thumbsup:
As far as,
"Lastly the kid tells Nate that someone buried a cache in their yard and can't find it so we should come over and detect it. He turned down the offer because Nate noticed he came from the house where we saw all kind of people coming and going as well as heard yelling and screaming. "

Maybe they were mad because no one could find their lighters? :tongue3:

-MM-

:D ;D That is a pretty creative explanation Doug but I think you are lying about the post toasties you old fart! ;D :D ;D

crazyjarhead said:
Nice story and nice finds. With that tagging on the side of that building and all of the noise, sounds like you were in a bad part of Cleveland :o

Actually this was the better part of Cleveland. No boarded up houses. :icon_sunny: This was the west side not the east. Not like that other school we have hunted around east 130th. Shoot I was just read in the paper today the police chased someone who had stolen a car and he got out and would not drop his gun so that had to shoot him. This was blocks from our "bad" Cleveland site. :P

Bob

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't care where you're huntin' Bob....You and Nate seem to figure it out.The city is alway's going to be the city.In the end Silver was recovered!!! :thumbsup: Doesn't get any better.Congrat's to you both!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread