1950 S Washingon Quarter

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Found this little oddity today while getting some coins ready to liquidate. Struck me as being odd. Searched on-line, and found something at least similar: a 1950 S/S quarter identified as Conseca RPM 1. This is a little more odd, I think. But yes, the doubled S mintmark is certainly there.

But on the obverse appears to be doubling in the 950 of the date.

Does anyone else see this? Am I just more delusional than most other people here? (he, he)

Attachments

• 50S25cobDDO.JPG
    50S25cobDDO.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 367
  • 50S25crevDDO.JPG
    50S25crevDDO.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 368

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, it definitely is a double strike on the "S". Would be nice if the condition were a bit better but the double S is a nice stumble upon find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
TheRandyMan said:
Nope, it definitely is a double strike on the "S". Would be nice if the condition were a bit better but the double S is a nice stumble upon find :thumbsup:
Thanks, Randy. The S/S is a known variety, called Conseca RPM1 I believe. One S is much higher and behind the lower, stronger S.

But there is no known variety with both the S/S mintmark reverse PLUS the doubling in the date Obverse that I know of.

I'm sort of sad it isn't the MS65 condition too, as it would be a simple job of sending it in to PCGS for authentication. But once PCGS sees the date doubled obverse, I'm not certain they'd even consider grading it.

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
I don't see any doubling in the date, it might just be machine doubling. Can you take some close up pictures of the date? If you send it to PCGS they will grade it and call out the Doubled MM for you. Good Luck. Kris

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
KJW said:
I don't see any doubling in the date, it might just be machine doubling. Can you take some close up pictures of the date? If you send it to PCGS they will grade it and call out the Doubled MM for you. Good Luck. Kris
Don't really want to over-enlarge the photos already here, Kris.

Can't see the date doubling? I see doubling on both 9 and 0 on the right, and doubling of the 5 to the left.

Still can't see it? Try holding a magnifying glass to the photos posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread