1962 Franklin Proof DDR?

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello friends. I've recently acquired this 1962 Franklin Proof, and didn't realize that it had some kind of doubling going on until I scanned it. The reverse is definitely not comparable to a normal 1962 Franklin Proof, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The more prominent points are around the "CA" of "AMERICA," and the "AR" of "DOLLAR." What do you think? Thanks!

vz93bn.jpg

9plua9.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is MD. It is flat and shelf like, at a lower level than the design. Not a true doubled die.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one ugly looking proof coin. Is it still in some packaging when you took the photo?

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Enamel,

Help a newb. What is MD and what is the difference between that and doubled die?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel,

Help a newb. What is MD and what is the difference between that and doubled die?

Doubled die means the doubling is actually in the design on the die, the metallic piece used to create the coin. Machine doubling means the die is normal, but bounced around and hit the coin again slightly off-kilter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions