1964 ddr1

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Well it was snowing today but not enough to go plow so I picked up a box of penny's to keep me busy. I went through about 20 rolls & had only found two wheat's, then I looked at a 1964 & sure enough it is a double die in about Au condition. This is only the second error I have found in 10 boxes. I won't get to the rest of the box until later, have to go watch the grand daughters dance tonight.

IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG

I know the pics are week but it is the best I can do with my camera. There is doubling on all of the letters on the reverse.

Upvote 0

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
bula said:
Well it was snowing today but not enough to go plow so I picked up a box of penny's to keep me busy. I went through about 20 rolls & had only found two wheat's, then I looked at a 1964 & sure enough it is a double die in about Au condition. This is only the second error I have found in 10 boxes. I won't get to the rest of the box until later, have to go watch the grand daughters dance tonight.
PICS OF DD?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes pictures! I've got one, but it's in rough shape. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I will try tommorrow but I don't know if my camera will show it. If not I will have my daughter take one with her 35mm.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Bula, but that appears to be machine doubling. But keep looking!
HH
Enamel7

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
enamel7 said:
Sorry Bula, but that appears to be machine doubling. But keep looking!
HH
Enamel7

All I had to compare with is the pic on lincolncentresourse & I couldn't really tell how that one was doubled. Mine even thought the pics do not show it well, but all of the letters are doubled.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the photo you're talking about. Notice the dot between the "E" and "Pluribus". Look at the extra thickness in the letters in that area and and "States" Notice the doubling is on the same level. This doubling is made into the design of the die. Yours is caused by the die shifting and the design is pushed down. I hope this helps.
HH
enamel7
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/1964ddr1.html

OP
OP
bula

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
enamel7 said:
Here's the photo you're talking about. Notice the dot between the "E" and "Pluribus". Look at the extra thickness in the letters in that area and and "States" Notice the doubling is on the same level. This doubling is made into the design of the die. Yours is caused by the die shifting and the design is pushed down. I hope this helps.
HH
enamel7
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/1964ddr1.html
I see what you are talking about, I will have to take mine to someone to look at if I can find any one around here. Even if it is a true doudling it would not be worth sending it in for grading.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try to learn how to spot them. No need to have someone look at it. Once you have seen enough of them you will know. But again, sorry, yours is not a true double die.
HH
Gilbert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread