1965 Silver?? Quarter

JRW276

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting and collecting coins for years and came across a strange coin. It is a 1965 U.S. Quarter that looks and feels silver. It is in rough shape and is very tarnished. Looks and sounds just like every other silver quarter I have found yet I thought they stopped making them in 1964. The edge is one color (silver) and the coins has that distinctive silver sound to it. Coin weighs 6.19 grams. Any one ever hear of one of these and if so is it valuable?? photo(2).JPG photo(3).JPG photo(4).JPG

antique man

Feb 2, 2014
Looks like you might have something worth holding to to, JRW. According to my error book a normal quarter weighs 5.67 grams, and the silver quarter weighs about 6.25 grams, so your quarter is only a couple grams less, probably from the wear.
You may want to send it to PCGS to get it certified. If it is a 1965 silver quarter it can be worth $2,500.

Good luck.

-Braden
Age 12

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you might have something worth holding to to, JRW. According to my error book a normal quarter weighs 5.67 grams, and the silver quarter weighs about 6.25 grams, so your quarter is only a couple grams less, probably from the wear.
You may want to send it to PCGS to get it certified. If it is a 1965 silver quarter it can be worth $2,500.

Good luck.

-Braden
Age 12

JRW & Braden, WELCOME to the forum! Braden, I'm very impressed with your knowledge and presentation of your reply for your age.

I'm not the coin person, so until the coin experts come alone, JRW, you might want to take Braden's advice and have an expert see it in person.

Neat find :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome to TreasureNet.
Your quarter appears to be void of any reeding on the edge; am I seeing that right?
I also wondered if I'm seeing a bit of crookedness to the lettering where it says "in God we trust"?
Although I find that this could be a rare (but recorded) silver planchet error, considering the overall crude appearances I'm more inclined to think this is a counterfeit. But that being said, there are much more knowledgable coin-folks here and I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet.
Your quarter appears to be void of an reeding on the edge; am I seeing that right?
I also wondered if I'm seeing a bit of crookedness to the lettering where it says "in God we trust"?
Although I find that this could be a rare (but recorded) silver planchette error, considering the overall crude appearances I'm more inclined to think this is a counterfeit. But that bing said, there are much more knowledgable coin-folks here and I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Good eye Benz! With no reeding on the edges, that is a big red flag!

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JRW276

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a small amount of reeding left (other side of coin) on it but the coin is in rough shape. It looks like it may have been cut into which leads me to believe it is silver. (Wish it was in better shape). I will take some more photos where you can see the worn reeding and put them up.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An acid test will tell you if it's silver or not.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something looks odd about the metal itself to me.. Including the thickness... did you try swinging a magnet over it?

Upvote 0

dollydazed

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your coin is to heavy to be a clad 1965 5.67 grams. 1932-64 6.25 grams. pretty close with the wear on your coin. I would have it looked at and tested for silver
could be a great find

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JRW276

Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to take so long loading up new photos. Snow in New England is keeping us busy!! Here is the best photo I could get of the reverse side and the wore down reeding on the side. Coin is in rough shape for sure. Does not react with magnet at all. P2200006.JPG P2200024.JPG P2200046.JPG P2200047.JPG

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's in rough condition, you could try to clean it a little bit. Try cleaning just the edge of the coin with silver polish or a silver polishing cloth. If the cloth you use turns black, then it's silver. No black on the cloth, then it's a clad coin. That would be lot less damaging than testing it with acid.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you are intending to stay in the hobby it is a great idea to purchase a test kit(amazon has good deals).It is hard when you dont know.a local jewler can test for free.dont worry about damage...there wont be any...they dont put the acid directly on the coin.The advice to have it looked at by a numismatist(coin dude)is solid.good luck and welcome

Upvote 0

antique man

Feb 2, 2014
Oh btw you should probably hill your coins by the edges and not touch the front or back of the coin. (Wouldn't wanna get fingerprints on it.) ;)

Upvote 0

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is you're scale accurate? Its in the middle of clad and silver. Makes me think is a silver plated clad quarter.

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Do not clean it. It will decrease the value"

Cleaning a very small part of the edge will not decrease it's value. In that condition, not much he does to it is going to significantly decrease it's value. It would also resolve this issue ASAP.

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You may want to send it to PCGS to get it certified. If it is a 1965 silver quarter it can be worth $2,500."

Not a bad idea, but it will cost $40 minimum to grade it. He's going to feel pretty silly if he spends $40 to grade a clad 1965 quarter in rough condition!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread