197 year old half dollar. Amazing condition. Gently rinsed and new pics

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I havent found anything exiting to post in awhile but today I found probably the best coin of my detecting career. Today after finding 4 wheat pennies in 4 hours In a pounded park, but with alot of history I put my detector away and was done for the day. I went back to chat with the guys before leaving and got a few jabs about leaving. I said ok I wil give it another 30 min, am I glad I did. After a few more wheats I headed near the tennis courts, the area is loaded with tennis ball can caps but stuck with it. At about min 28 I got a crappy signal and dug a 5 inch deep plug, stuck my pinpointer in and got an equally crappy signal then took about 3 more inches and got a good signal. I then took some dirt out with my hand and saw the edge of a big silver, I thought it was an 8 real because i saw a little if the bust lady, called my 2 buds over and told them it was an 8 real. Yes. My freind pulled it out and said its no 8 reale its american as he was looking at the eagle., I snatched it out of his hands and my heart sank I thought it was modern silver. Then i realized what it was, my first bust coin and a half to boot. The condition is amazing allthough it has an old scratch throught the sheild its still in amazing condition.
I want to thank all of you for all the nice comments and for making the banner. I have looked at this coin for hours and am still on cloud 9. I took the advice of giving it a gentle rinse (NO BRUSH) and took a few pics, I can only dream of ever topping this find. It is a find of a lifetime. Again thank you all.
Marty

Attachments

• IMG_1439 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1439 (Medium).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 8,754
  • IMG_1440 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1440 (Medium).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 8,698
  • IMG_1441 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1441 (Medium).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 8,686
  • IMG_1443 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1443 (Medium).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 8,689
  • IMG_1444 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1444 (Medium).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 8,671
  • IMG_1446 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1446 (Medium).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 8,603
  • IMG_1450 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1450 (Medium).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 7,430
  • IMG_1452 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1452 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 7,387
  • IMG_1460 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1460 (Medium).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 7,324
Upvote 1
OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tykit said:
Hey Marty, Dave here. I'm still on cloud 9 seeing you dig up that beautiful coin. (I was there when Marty dug it up, I'll never forget that moment.) He's a great guy, glad he found it. Dave
Hey Dave, I am glad I met you Sunday as I was on my way home. I went back to the guys to chat and tell them about meeting another detectorist in the park. As you know by now I decided to detect for another 30 min. If not for meeting you I would have been home cleaning my car to get ready for a short vacation. We should get together again and maybe I can bring you some amazing luck.

Marty

prodrigsr

Mar 12, 2008
South Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ6a and Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just simply amazing something that old and looks that good is out there.!!

Just wow!!!

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: I don't comment often, and all that can be said is probably said, but I would be ashamed to be the only one NOT to congratulate you and ditto on the banner vote. :hello2:

Steve

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Asking again about HOW a person would find out the "value" of this coin? I have tried to do a google search on it, but can't come up with an approximate dollar value on this coin. What do you guys think?

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
gemee said:
Asking again about HOW a person would find out the "value" of this coin? I have tried to do a google search on it, but can't come up with an approximate dollar value on this coin. What do you guys think?
My freind has a grading book and sells coins and wants to see the coin again. he thinks it might go to au 58 or better, he said easily for starts its a $1000 coin, others are around but the condition of this coin is better than great.
Marty

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought about it for a while but lacking words, cant think of anything to say because its so f#!@kin' good, its certainly some of the best to ever hope for.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SWEET PIECE OF SILVER, congrat's on the Banner. Truly amazing the condition for being dug :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
That is one beautiful coin! I have never seen one before.....I'm so glad your persistence paid off BIG TIME! Congratulations on the banner! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats,

That is the nicest bust coin I ever seen come out of the ground. Looked to be dropped around 1812 or a little after.

HH Jer

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
NJ Marty said:
gemee said:
My freind has a grading book and sells coins and wants to see the coin again. he thinks it might go to au 58 or better, he said easily for starts its a $1000 coin, others are around but the condition of this coin is better than great.
Marty
I'm still on the fence if this is a 1812 2over1 large 8.... If you know an trust a coin dealer in your area you should take the coin to them an see what they say... looking at the pictures of the varieties in the red book (2009 an 2010) I'm thinking it is what I think it is,but I'm no expert...

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CONGRATS! What a beautiful and historic coin. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

It's amazing to try to contemplate everything that has happened while that coin was sitting there buried.

AND .. it was just ready for you to find it.

On a simpler level: I'm curious why it wasn't found before? Weak signal amongst the trash?

HH Joe

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There just are not enough words to describe how beautiful that coin is, congrats!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Sweet Jeebus, that is one of the 2 or 3 best-looking U.S. coins I've ever seen dug here!!

Looks like they struck it a bit off-center; shipped it from the Mint to a bank; some unfortunate person dropped it on his way from the bank to [unk.]; and then nearly 200 years passed before you brought it to the light!

Congratulations on a doggedly-determined dig and a FANTASTIC big-denom coin!!!

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nice Find!!! Yours is an O-103 variety. Not an 1812 over 1811. On the reverse, there are two small dots below the "I" in AMERICA, and one dot below the "U" in UNITED. In addition, the stars on the obverse are sharp on the left and flat on the right.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
As I sit here in my computer chair, my feet are doing a happy dance for you! Congratulations on one sweeeeet find!! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread