1970 s Lincoln

curbcruzer

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2019
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking last weeks pocket change I found a 1970 s Lincoln I believe its a large date . My question is looking in the red book ( not just this date but others also) I see under mintage 1970s all kinds .....(2,632,810) under that ...... 690,560,004 . Most coins only have one number in the mintage column . What is the number in parentheses ? I looked but could not find . Thanks Tom. I don't know why photo is backwards I will have to figure that out later .

Attachments

• Photo on 1-24-19 at 2.28 PM.jpg
    Photo on 1-24-19 at 2.28 PM.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 69

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number in parentheses in the Yeoman's Red Book is the number of proofs that were minted. The others are numbers minted for circulation.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries curbcruzer and welcome to the forum! There are folks here with a lot more knowledge and experience than me, but I try to contribute where I can...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Your' 1970-S Lincoln Cent is the Large Date Variety. While there are several different ways to determine if you have a "Large Date" or "Small Date" Variety, the easiest and quickest way to determine which one you have is by examining the tail of the inner curve (loop) of the "9" in the Date. If the tail points to somewhere between the tail (bottom or end) of the "7" in the Date and the top of the Mint Mark, then it is a "Large Date" Variety. If the tail of the "9" points towards the middle or just slightly lower than the middle of the vertical bar of the "7" in the Date (not towards the bottom or tail), then it is a "Small Date" Variety.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your' 1970-S Lincoln Cent is the Large Date Variety. While there are several different ways to determine if you have a "Large Date" or "Small Date" Variety, the easiest and quickest way to determine which one you have is by examining the tail of the inner curve (loop) of the "9" in the Date. If the tail points to somewhere between the tail (bottom or end) of the "7" in the Date and the top of the Mint Mark, then it is a "Large Date" Variety. If the tail of the "9" points towards the middle or just slightly lower than the middle of the vertical bar of the "7" in the Date (not towards the bottom or tail), then it is a "Small Date" Variety.

like the "6" in the '60 S & L issues. or, the loop has a droop or no droop, right Frank:laughing9:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I am reading what you wrote correctly in that you are saying that tail of the inner loop of the "6" on a "Small Date" Variety of the 1960 Cents points toward the top of the "9" in the Date while the tail of the inner loop of the "6" on a "Large Date" Variety points more toward the center of the "9" in the Date. However, the easiest way to tell the difference of the two, is the length of the upper tail of the "6". On the "Small Date" Variety, the tail is shorter and fatter while on the "Large Date" Variety, the tail is longer and thinner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread