1971 D Kennedy half mis-strike?

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm brand new to CRH and have only found one 40% in the couple hundred rolls I've searched. I've found a lot of 1974 D which I'm taking a closer look at to determine DD or not. However, I came across a 1971 which had some unusual wearing at the bottom. At first I figured it was just wear and tear but the closer I looked it appears the die did not completely strike the image. Being new to coins I have no clue what I'm actually talking about but figured I'd post some pictures to see if I'm on to something. I've searched for other examples of this but haven't found any info. What do you think?

This picture best shows the lack of impression at the bottom of the date. When looking at the coin up close it appears the "rim" disappears at this section.

IMG_5055.jpg

This image is a bit misleading as it shows more of a rim that actually appears when studying the coin. I included it in case there was indeed an illusion happening from deformation due to outside influences.

IMG_5056.jpg

This is the back of the coin which also shows shallow detail. This is slightly off-centered from the highest point of wear on the face of the coin.

IMG_5057.jpg

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It could possibly be a grease filled die, but I don't think it's severe enough to be worth much. It could also just be worn in that area, but you'll have to wait for someone that actually knows what they are talking about with this kind of stuff.

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response. The coin shows more lack of detail in person than in the photos. In person it appears that the 71 and the rim near it seem to disappear. It really doesn't look like wear the more I look at it but could be completely wrong.

Is a grease filled die pretty common?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the response. The coin shows more lack of detail in person than in the photos. In person it appears that the 71 and the rim near it seem to disappear. It really doesn't look like wear the more I look at it but could be completely wrong.

Is a grease filled die pretty common?

I think they are kind of common (could be wrong, as I stated, I'm no expert on these sort of things). It seems like more of those are found on here than error coins.

Here are a couple of eBay listings about the values on some of them:
Error Kennedy Half Dollar 1976D Grease Filled Die | eBay

Error Half Dollar 1989D 1996D Grease Filled Die Obv | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions