1971 D SILVER????? WTF

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Alright I dont get it...this thing pops out at me while unrollin today, and I think Cool my first silver of the day, turn to see the year-1971 with a D mint mark...WTF?!?!?!
It wieghs 11.3g (same as the other circulated 40% coins from the day)(a cir. Frankie weighs 12.3) Rim is all silver, sounds like silver, and it even SMELLS like silver.
Unfortunatly photos are not an option as I tried but my baterries are dead (stupid teenage pics) will post as soon as I get some power, but are there any ideas as to MAYBE a mint mistake ...say a leftover silver slug from '70...this thing is baffling me!!!

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
jersey devl said:
Alright I dont get it...this thing pops out at me while unrollin today, and I think Cool my first silver of the day, turn to see the year-1971 with a D mint mark...WTF?!?!?!
It wieghs 11.3g (same as the other circulated 40% coins from the day)(a cir. Frankie weighs 12.3) Rim is all silver, sounds like silver, and it even SMELLS like silver.
Unfortunatly photos are not an option as I tried but my baterries are dead (stupid teenage pics) will post as soon as I get some power, but are there any ideas as to MAYBE a mint mistake ...say a leftover silver slug from '70...this thing is baffling me!!!

The site I looked at says that clad halves weigh 11.34g and silver clad halves weigh 11.50g. I have had halves that look all silver on the edge until I looked a little harder at them. Hope yours is a keeper!!

John

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
My Red Book says "A few of the pieces dated 1971D and 1977D were struck in silver clad composition by error."

You might be on to something there. I have never actually found one. But am always on the lookout.

They don't actually list a price for those 2 coins so probably rare.

CRH Mojo

OP
OP
jersey devl

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
coinmojo said:
My Red Book says "A few of the pieces dated 1971D and 1977D were struck in silver clad composition by error."

You might be on to something there. I have never actually found one. But am always on the lookout.

They don't actually list a price for those 2 coins so probably rare.

CRH Mojo

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

XX

Jan 11, 2008
It get's better, there have been found 25% silver clad coins out there (basically an error in the stock used for the planchets).

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
gatzdon said:
It gets better, there have been found 25% silver clad coins out there (basically an error in the stock used for the planchets).

Can you elaborate more. Years? Mints?

I have noticed a difference in the sound of 1972's and 1992's quite frequently.......

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread