Brinks rolls question

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I was wondering if anyone here knows that when a bank sends its coins to brinks, they roll those same coins and send them back to the originating bank, or they simply go into the "pot" and get mixed with all others?

For what it is worth, I have noticed in my area all banks have the brinks bank rolls, (no loomis or those other companies I have seen listed here), and I have had the best luck with Brinks rolls that have lighter brown/tan, or golden printing on them. The dark brown ones have mostly been skunks for me.

I called a bank that said they had a few boxes and I checked them out (I now call banks in the area where I will be going for work each day). When the teller brought me my box I saw the top level and the wrappers were the lighter color. I asked her how long they had the boxes and she said a long time (there were a few 2005s in there, so there were not too old). Anyway, the box was pretty good so I went back and bought the other couple of boxes they had and one turned out to be really great-4 90%s and 60+ 40%s.

With the dark brown Brinks labels I have been lucky to get 1 40% per box.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The color of the wrappers don't mean much at all just might be the machine going low on ink. Just a variation between the end of a spool and the beginning.

There are people here that constantly say Brinks box's are skunk, but that hasn't been my experience at all. But at the same time I haven't got many Loomis/Fed boxes here. the ones I was getting had very low yields or were skunks half the time. Seems as though 9 out of 10 boxes these days are skunk. No matter which.
When I first started I would average 3 to 15 keepers a box, every box, and occasionally do better than that, but it seems like a distant memory. Me and my gang around here have depleted the supply in this area I suppose, I believe that if I get anything out of a box these days it's because some one cashed out a small accumulation and it managed to get past the tellers at the bank and actually got in the mix at Brink's automated processing center.

It is my understanding that the banks usually wait till they get $500 to send back. and most have to bag them. meaning they have to unwrap them and write on the bag "said to contain" $500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread